Am I just getting old or is this difficult?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Oct 4, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I sat down and played through these two yesterday and today. I certainly don't own them, but can get through them without much ado.
    They look more difficult than they are. They have some tricky patches and require good breath control and phrasing, but a good high school player and decent adult amateur should be able to master them in a couple of weeks. The tempos are not frightfully fast, either. If one doesn't have the range or endurance, both had better be worked on. While these are not easy at all, in my opinion, the Arban Characteristic studies are longer and more difficult to get right.
    The first one would have been no problem for me in high school. The second would have taken much more time and effort. Not the range, but the technical demands would have really pushed me.
    Rich T.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    They are test pieces, with some difficult intervals, some dotted-eight rhythms and grupetti. They are difficult, but meant as a sieve. A spoon fed student can slip through, but sight-reading is the real test.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I think it is nuts. Where is the melody? It is all about speed and muscles - nothing about music and beauty.

I have just played through one of these, it is ugly and does not resemble music. Phrases do not flow in a consistent manner, and there are mistakes in the melodic description of the implied harmony. The layout, although computerized, is also faulty, with courtesy accidentals hard up against key signatures suggesting double flats, and Gruppetto signs too far above the note modified.

Certainly no joy for anyone to play.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Okay you guys. Your all telliing me I'm just old, so I'll agree. I was really complaining more about exercise 2. I ran through it a couple of more times lately. Am managing it technically and it even sounds musical -well as musical as a "nonmusical" piece can sound (in reference to Ivan's comment). I just don't have the endurance to muster through. Have to stop 2 times. Keep in mind my real playing years were 30 years ago. Now, I manage about 10-20 minutes every other day and an hour and a half once a week with community band. Reading it from beginning to end without a stop is way over my enduranced level, though I can do it "perfectly" in several segments.

Guess I just thought this was more than most good HS kids could handle endurance wise. I'll get my son started on it and see how he does.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Ivan and VB nailed it. Had I written something like this in composition class back in music school, I would not have been graded well. Very awkward phases and some strange harmonic progressions. If that's what you can call them. Maybe they were written that way on purpose?
    Rich T.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    All District, All Region, All State, Governor's School for the Arts, etc. are all motivational to some students. Also, when you start making Governor's School and All State, colleges notice. By being in All State and Governor's School my daughter got to meet and work with many of the college instructors in the state. It put her in line for a full ride. (which saved me a BUNDLE of money)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check out the requirements for Minor Scales and Arpeggios, third line:

"..plus 1 pint for each related arpeggio".

At least they repay the auditioners with refreshment. Do they need a parent's permission slip for this audition by the way?

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It can motivate but in all the wrong ways sometimes. And All State itself does nothing, it is what you do with it. If you make All State and are proactive, and a "true" musician, then it will mean something. If you make All State because you can regurgitate, then it means squat.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just so folks don't think I'm whinning without any experience, 40 somthing years ago I made allstate 2 years in a row, receiving a 1 in individual and placing in the first section in the band. Of course, I am sure it has changed some over those many years. My concern was that this one piece, to me, while allowing for technique, really screened out players who might not have the endurance to last through the piece. The check for endurance seemed to outweigh all other skills, as you can't show off your technique if you can't make it through it. Kids that can live on a high C might never get to the C at the end. I played better then in HS college and a few years thereafter than I do now (no time for practice) so maybe the endurance factor complaint isn't justified. It is what limits me from doing a good job getting through it.

While there is a place for allstate, I agree with some of the other posters that say we also need to find a way to encourge many of the others. When many of us first went to universities, we sat in those freshmen classes where the professors said, "my job is to weed you out." Assignments were not always meaningful as designed to weed. By the way, I went through the sciences, which probably had this philosophy more than any other college.

Today, many universities are looking at this differently (I work with 14 institutions of higher education -sciences- here). Rather than how to weed students, some are starting to focus on how can we actually help students.

Oh well. So much for the rant. I'm not the one who has to play the peices. Figure my kid will do fine.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012