Am I just getting old or is this difficult?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Oct 4, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES, you are getting old --- actually 30 years ago, I couldn't have done that piece. (although I admit, it is stuffy, and technical) -- and Steve, UHM --- what can I say??? 20 minutes of practice time just WONT do it for me. More like 1.5 hours each day!!!

One thing that strikes me is ALWAYS the comparison to someone else (I tend to do that myself) -- instead of concentrating on making music at your own level.
    Interesting enough this came up at community band the other night --- the NEW guy at 3rd trumpet was worried that he couldn't play as well as others (he can do a fine job) --- but in his mind, he didn't think so.
    YOU know I explained to the guy one simple thing ---"if you want to impress someone, then all you have to do as a trumpet player, is learn 1 skill, and play that better, higher, faster than anyone, and AUTOMATICALLY people will think you can play the trumpet ----- I then proceeeded to whip of a 2 1/2 octave chromatic (up and down) -- low F# to high C ---at a blistering pace that completed the thing in just a few seconds----
    the guy (Lee) seemd rather impressed -----------------------------and then I said "that may be the only IMPRESSIVE thing I can do on the trumpet you see ------------------------- AND AUTOMATICALLY YOU THINK I AM REALLY GOOD ---- by the way, Lee, can you let me know where we are on the long count rests???? I have trouble counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said "besides that, I write down all the parts of the music when we 3rd trumpets double with the French horns, otherwise, I would always put my trumpet up whenever the 1st and 2nd trumpet players do!!! -- Lee looks at me very confused., for a moment -- but I think he understood my point !!!!!!!!!! play and be happy!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It looks like a sight reading exercise ... a dedicated student with some talent should be able to play them.
    My take on this is the All State system is one of the avenues for college scholarships. Which are competitive.
    I am not saying I am for it just that "it is what it is"

3. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    It was a different time back then. When I was five, I had the opportunity to sit in the bassoon section of the Baltimore Symphony for a rehearsal. That started it all. After getting big enough to actually play the bassoon, I found myself at various times playing under (and with) Philip Farkas, Harvey Phillips, Arthur Fiedler, Sergiu Commissiona, Harry John Brown. And I was well, better than average on a rare instrument in schools so I got to do a lot.

Do kids have the chance to do this today, or is the whole process, as the score sheet alludes, a question of numbers, metrics. I don't recall seeing anything on there about style, grace, tone, or anything of substance.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My former teacher told me a story about how he was asked to perform the test piece before some sort of all state competition, with minimal review of the piece, he showed me the sheet music and it was disturbingly similar to his recommended practice regimine.

My guess is that the pieces are designed to expose flaws in technique in the most obvious way possible so that there is no covering it up.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All I can say is when I was in high school, there wasn't anything such as all state ... and I didn't miss it in the least.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    At first I thought that it was really difficult. I can't really play that second piece ending on high C, except on a really good day and I'd still need to stop a few times. I think I could be able to play it in a year or 2. Then again, it occurred to me that this is senior high school level, so these kids could have been playing/learning for the past 10 years, all during that part of life when we (normally) learn best. So, considering I got really regular in practice back in late 2009, I am not too worried about it. Still, I'd much rather enjoy nice music instead of pieces designed mostly for evaluation.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not having tried to play it yet, it looks fairly challenging to me. My biggest problem would be finding a few spots to breathe without disrupting the flow of the exercise (#2). I never tried out for allstate when I was in high school - I worked up one of the audition pieces one year (if I remember correctly it was Arban's Characteristic Study #1) but lost interest in the process. Good luck to your son. Chances are, few to none will play it really well, so it will be judged accordingly.

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Yes and yes.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Wilmer,

What what is like to have Sigmund Herring as a teacher??? My teacher loves his books and has put me on a steady diet of his 40 Progessive Etudes to learn timing and to play melodically. If there is a phsyical issue while playing one of the Etudes, he has taught me to turn that part of the Etude into an exercise.

BB

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    BrotherBach, and Wilmer, no offense but I find it a little unfair to use an overly gifted kid such as Nathalie Dungey as a basis to establish expectations for other kids of her age. It's like if Sergei Nakariakov was saying of the "Carnival" that a 12 years old can do it (I mean really do it, at tempo, perfectly executed, in Sergei's fashion). Well, yeah, technically a 12 years old such as him does it once in a while. That 12 years old might be one in a few millions and the chance that another will be able to replicate the feat is not much higher than winning the lottery, even with good guidance. Not to say that good guidance is not a factor. In fact, for the rest of us less gifted ones, it is the one thing that may well make the most difference.