Am I just getting old or is this difficult?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Oct 4, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I work the auditions for the regional band auditions in middle Tennessee. (Midstate) The exercises we choose are extremely challenging. They have to be, because some of these kids are crazy good. If you don't have music that is sufficiently challenging, you can't sort them out. We use one lyrical piece and one technical piece. And of course scales and sight reading. We don't audition the kids for All State. We just take the top kids from each district. But I recall that in Missouri, the kids who made All District got the privilege to audition for All State. You really have to have challenging music to sort that out.

My daughter made Midstate Band, Governor's School for the Arts, and All State Band. They were absolutely fantastic experiences for her. She got to play with other outstanding student musicians and spend 5 weeks living as a music major in college the summer of her junior year in high school. She made a lot of good friends, grew up a bit, and met people who helped her out along her way. If you have the chance, playing in these groups is a great experience.

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    We, like many places, also have All County Honor Band. It is a chance for some kids who won't make the other honor bands to have a similar experience. My kids enjoyed that experience too.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    The thing that bugs me about the audition is that they give a "score". Maybe it's a good way to start, but I hope the final determination of seating is not done that way. Just rank them based on who sounds the best, also listening for certain signs of weakness.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Phil986,

Sorry, using that quote was a mistake. I did not operate the editor correctly. I was trying to use the quote that Wilmer used to say that his teacher was Sigmund Herring because my teacher uses Herring heavily in his teaching. That is all. As for Nathalie, she is a great kid with enormous talent and I am sure the hard work to match it. These phenomenal kids also work like dogs. It depends on devotion and dedication. It is too easy to minimize the daily grind they go through.

BrotherBACH