Am I normal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    So, one day all day I'm getting all my notes right, slotting them almost instantly up and down the scale, all is progress, and I'm in my happy space. It feels good. I've got C major, D major, and E major all working up and down - the only three scales I know thus far.

Next day, nothing is working right, I'm struggling to do what I did almost effortlessly the day before and I feel like tearing my own face off in frustration.

Anyone else have this type of experience?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes you are normal, keep practicing! Don't tear your face off. It will only make playing more difficult. :roll:

3. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks. I had my doubts you know.

Embouchure almost seems to have a mind of its own some days.

4. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    It happens! When it happens to me, I put the horn down, go for a walk, and come back to it later. No point in hurting yourself by forcing it, it will only hinder your progress!

5. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks, yeah this is exactly what I decided to do. I have other things need doing so I'll give those some attention.

6. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    No, you are not normal.

However, none of what you described indicates anything out of the ordinary.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Consistency will come with "mileage" on your horn. Hope you stick with it.

BTW, cool website and I liked the sax work on the Vince Giles piece.

8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Not sure what the specific issue is for you. I have had periods where i am preparing for several different performances - varied styles etc. After the intense rehearsals etc i sometimes find my embouchure will seem to fail. I have tried different approaches to finding a fix - not playing etc. One that seems to work is to warm up using a larger mouthpiece -- in my case i warm up using a standard Bach 3C. My normal mouthpiece is a Shilke 14a4c. I play Gregorian etudes using the 3C then switch to the Schilke. Seems to help.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are creatures of habit. Before we have habits, we have inconsistencies. Habits are built by thousands of repetitions...........

I personally recommend a daily routine consisting of long tones, lip slurs, some scales and easy tunes. 10-15 minutes is enough for this routine that is only designed to get you started every day. It is NOT part of a practice routine. After the daily routine, you more or less know what you have to face for the rest of the day. I have been playing for almost 50 years (teaching for almost 40). I still play my daily routine, daily. For me it is the common denominator. It tells me if I have tension issues, hydration issues, attention span issues. It works regardless if I have a heavy or light playing schedule.

10. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I do not have Rowuk's history -- but i i think Rowuk is correct and his response is similar to what i was trying to write.