Am I normal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Thank you.

I fully intend to keep at it. I like everything about trumpet, but getting used to the sheer physical nature of playing it is taking some getting used to.

Vince and I occasionally collaborate and have for more than ten years now. He's an interesting composer.

2. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I do long tones, I do my currently three known scales which I will obviously add to, and then I spend perhaps two hours - if I have the time, simply trying to make nice sounds, string phrases together and improvise. I have a background in classical violin, having spent a number or years as a violin player. Nothing serious, just studying and taking exams etc. for my own benefit. I have enough understanding of music theory etc to apply my learning to trumpet. I attack my weaknesses instead of giving up on them as a weakness. So if I am making terrible sounds one day, then I will pursue the reasons for it and eventually I win.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    That reply reminds me of an old, old mathematics joke... Two guys are flying about in a hot air balloon. They have lost their bearings and don't know at all where they might be. Under them - empty landscape. Finally, they sight a man walking his dog. They descend and hail him, asking "Where are we?". For a long time they get no answer. As they reascend, they hear a faint cry from below: "In a balloon." Says one guy to the other: "That chap must be a mathematician." - "Why?" - "Well, there are three reasons: The answer took ages, was perfectly correct and utterly useless."

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, you know how long your bow took........... Your chops are the bow for the trumpet. That fluidity of chop motion and breathing are key to playing consistently. There is a difference however! If you eat a whole bag of potatochips one evening, the next day your violin playing is ok, but you will have hydration issues with the trumpet. Diet can affect the suppleness of the lips. I don't drink black tea on concert days. The tannic acid makes my lips tough.

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    A good day for me is when the neighbors windows aren't slammed shut.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Songbook, don't rely on your neighbor's windows being open to assess how well your performance is. Most are now closed to keep either heat or air conditioning optimum inside their house, thus such is not a reliable index. Besides kids squalling or parents arguing is certainly disconcerting to your music.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Who would even WANT to be normal?

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Ed Lee, thanks for your reply, but I meant it as a joke. On a more serious note, if one just adheres to all the advice given on this site, you come away with a wealth of wonderful knowledge. Over the years my trumpet playing has increased a great deal. Listen to these accomplished musicians and you can't go wrong. Long tones, playing softly, take rests, all these things work. Good luck!

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just means that you buy the wrong blend of tea. Most blends usually available in Germany have that effect (with the side effect that after more than five minutes' stewing the taste becomes bitter and the tea undrinkable.

Try true British blends - most of these have much less tannin. They usually develop their flavour after longer periods, and keep their taste almost indefinitely. My usual moring nosebag comprises a large pot of tea (one of those 15-cup monsters). About half is drunk at breakfast, and the rest just kept warm on a rechaud. The taste will stay the same for at least eight hours and won't affect your playing ability.
    Try Lyons Quick Brew, or Thompsons Irish Blend, or the cheap Ty-Phoo blends (always in teabags because they help absorb the remaining tannin, on a basis of two teabags per six cups of tea). In Germany, these teas can be ordered from places like British Allsorts in Munich
    - Teas & Hot Chocolates

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Please spell define. ;-)