Amado Water Key

Discussion in 'Horns' started by John Heckathorn, Jul 11, 2005.

1. John Heckathorn

John Heckathorn New Friend

Jun 9, 2005
    Does this key have any advantages over the standard spring water key? I am thinking of purchasing an MK tuning slide, and the amados come standard on them.

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Looks prettier, less messy!

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    A standard water key has that little knob of extra tubing. Some people believe that since the amado does not have it, the air flow more smoothly.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And there are folks who believe that the Amado waterkey is more attractive to the overall appearance of a horn.

Given that the owner lubricates the Amado properly, one advantage I can think of is that it doesn't have corks or resiliant material to wear out. But of course there are lots of people who think that Amado water keys are a "pain in the south end" and that they stick and jam.

I don't know... I've never had one stick or jam. But I've had the spring on a lever-type key break on me and I've had to replace corks.

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I like the Amado better.

My Holton has the standard spring kind. Befor I got my Kanstul I was playing a solo on my Holton, all of the sudden the the spit valve pops open and my tone got all airy and crappy.

My new Kanstul came with 2 tuning slides, one has the standard, and one has the amado. I agree with the others who say that the air flows better with the amado, the only problem I have had is everyonce in a while the amado will stick, but a drop of valve oil always seems to fix the problem... but then again, valve oil seems to fix every problem!

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I personally am not a big fan of amados. They give you a spitty sound more quickly than a regular key, and I personally think amados look like tumors on your trumpet!

Also, amados can pop off of your horn if they were not put on well enough. Heck, even well-attached amados tend to feel flimsy.

I dunno, maybe I just prefer levers over buttons... :D

Now, decorated amados can look nice. Also, having an amado on the 3rd slide, and a lever spit valve on the main tuning slide looks really neat, too.

I would love to see a saturn water key in person.

Van

7. Alas

Alas New Friend

Nov 23, 2004
    Norway
    I've actually had the metal ring on the opposite end of the knob you press to open the waterkey, fall off, making the spring and everything in the amado waterkey spring out, and leaving a gaping hole in the tuningslide. Thank god this did not happen at a concert. It shocked me enough just being at home practicing.

This was on my Zeus Olympus! Now I've sold the instrument, and will never play one again as I found it totally unacceptable that something like this should be able to happen on a "quality" instrument.

I still use amado waterkeys, but much better quality ones though.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    How is that possible? Which trumpet builders make their own Amado keys?
    Does Kanstul? I would be surprised if they did. Does Eclipse? Why would a custom horn builder waste their expensive shop time making a water key?

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Some makers do put a little bit more effort into even their water keys. The Stage 1, for instance, adds a little piece on the opening on the amado, to control how the water flows out. Looks a lot cooler, and just that little bit of extra effort put there really tells you something.

Amados can be put on shoddily, One of my student's neo-Olds's had an amado that flaked off like dandruff. Had to use duct tape for about a month. It was ridiculous.

Van

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Saturn water key.... now THERE is something that looks like a tumor! (or at least a big ol' zit that needs squeezing!) I have to wonder why they haven't become a much bigger seller if they have all of the advantages that they are purported to have. Could they also have some hidden problems? I'm thinking corrosion, sticking... that sort of thing.

On the Amado coming apart... if it was on an Olympus then it was a Kanstul built horn. I've no idea who supplies them with Amados... if I had to guess I would say "Allied". When an Amado pops open like that, it was either poorly built or the "C clip" wasn't installed correctly. (true of any spring-loaded device held in with a c-clip). It's safe to say that Kanstul builds Alex's horns to meet Alex's spec and I would think that cost (and therefore sourcing of components) is one of the more important elements of his design so you should consider that as well.

That little extra "extension" on the Stage one? Sounds just like what was originally on my Getzen Eterna cornet when I first got it. I have the strongest suspicion that they were sourced from Allied.