Amado Water Keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Nov 24, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Help ..... I have two Amado keys on my trumpet and I can not seem to empty the main tuning slide ,the 3rd valve slide is fine ,sometimes alot lately I need to take out the main tuning slide to empty it completely , I am gurgling like crazy if I dont do that help me I am drowning:shhh:Thanks Anthony

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    if it is not coming out, the spit is not where the key is. You have to find out where the spit is collecting and angle your trumpet to where the spit ends up at the hole. The valve itself just opens and closes. It can't be guilty (unless your horn is filthy inside and the valve is plugged up..........).

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Another thought - sometimes the hole for the water key isn't made correctly or the key is soldered on sloppily, causing an obstruction. Looking down your removed tuning slide, can you see any sort of protrusion (or gunk) inside the slide where the key is?

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here is a hint from someone with Amado keys, and a hard time to get to them.

Get a trombone cleaning bush. Often food particles will form around the drain hole and solidify. A good trombone brush, which is thicker will help clean that area.

Be glad you don't have an Eclipse!

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    A repair tech recently told me that a lot of brand new horns will actually show up without the hole for the amado drilled into the slide - about one in ten new Bachs that they recieve show up that way, and they have to drill out the hole. Take the slide out, hold the spit valve open, plug one end of the slide and blow into the other. If nothing gets through, it's either completely blocked or never been drilled - your repair tech can tell you which is the case. If it needs to be drilled it's a five minute job - no big deal or big repair cost. Don't try to drill it yourself, though - less experienced people can send the drill straight through, causing additional damage. Let the repair techs do it - they are trained for it!

6. m13a8

m13a8 Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2007
    I'm not sold on Amado water keys, personally...my school's Getzen flugel has them...I really rather it didn't. None of the three ever work. Maybe they don't have holes? Maybe I need to give it a good cleaning...I always end up having to pull out the two slides to empty water, and then spinning the thing like a f. horn to get the rest out. This experience may not be typical, but the experience has definitely made me weary of purchasing an instrument with Amado keys of my own in the future.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I am wondering why these water keys are becoming so widespread, even on pricey horns. The first horn I played was a Jupiter (a rental) with Amados. It seemed you could never expel all the water and they had an unpleasant way of audibly vibrating with f or ff 4th space E. I am very much unsold on those as well.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Both my Getzens have Amado water keys and they drain at slightly different trumpet angles - search for the correct angle, and put a little valve oil on the water key regularly too. In the short term, the gurgling can be overcome by lifting your bell a bit.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    How to check if the Amado works:

Take out the tuning slide.
    Clean one end of the tubing.
    Put your finger over one end.
    Blow into the other end with the Amado in open posistion.
    If no air comes out of the Amado: clean the hole.
    If air comes out: Valve ok..

How to use an Amado:
    The Amado should be the lowest point of the trumpet.
    Open the valve and blow. Don't overblow. If you overblow,
    the water will pass and hide behind the valve hole.

You would be glad if you had a Taylor.
    They have Amado spit valves...

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Amados have the advantage that they are pretty much flush with the tubing, reducing a possible disturbance in the airflow. They work fine on all of my horns. The slides just need to be cleaned regularly.

The angle when blowing is more critical then with standard spitkeys. Because the standard key has a tube between it and the slide, blowing hard puts a higher pressure in the horn and the water is "sucked" out based on the relative lower pressure in the tube. The Amado has a valve, but no real "tube". the pressure difference is not that great.