Amado Water Keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Nov 24, 2009.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

They must be cleaned often.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Maybe "that" explains why I can't seem to empty my pocket trumpet except by rotating it around and/or blowing hard to make it come out the bell. I always give it a good blow to get the water out through the valves - working against myself - as usual.

3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    OK - Here is the hot ticket on Amado water keys.

1. Stomvi makes the absolutely best Amado's because they use a screw on end cap so that you don't have to mess with the stupid circlip to remove and clean the valve. Makes cleaning a breeze. Somebody really had their thinking cap on over there at Stomvi. Just dissassemble, clean and lubricate the valve, and clean the drain hole every two weeks and you will be fine. If you want - any repair person can remove your present Amado's and replace them with Stomvi's.

2. Take your slides to a repair person and have them ream (not drill) out the Amado's drain hole to a larger size. You can usually go a fair amount larger which REALLY helps to get more water out. I had this done to all my Stomvi and Smith Watkins horns and it REALLY makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In my personal experience I have found 'some' Amado water keys that have a poorly drilled passage hole through the tubing that has formed a burr on the inside of the tubing that acts as a dam for the water that must be drained. The afore mentioned advice to have a tech ream the hole slightly larger removes this burr and the water can then be drained readily. This is a simple and quick operation for a tech with the properly sized reamer.

OLDLOU>>

5. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed! I have those on my Brass Spa Vraptor. The machining on their version are great-very, very smooth (unlike the amado copies on Jupiter horns that seem to grind.) One difference for me is that I have never had to clean the stomvi amados outside from when I clean the entire horn, which can be months.

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    If you remove the mouthpiece and blow on the pipe you can blow a larger volume of air without the fast air speed to blow the water past the Amado. It works on both my Getzens.
    Good Luck ~Bobby

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree that Stomvi's Amado-type water keys are excellent. But for that price, they better be! :)

Amado water keys need to be kept lubricated with a drop of valve oil from time to time -- especially on horns which don't get used everyday. They can become stuck and then they're worse than useless.

And cheaper instruments which use amado-type water keys have horrible metal in the springs which actually rusts and crumbles and sometimes they rust so badly they can't be removed from the casing but actually have to be totally replaced.

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks guys for your help I got it working ......it was clogged I used the BRASS CLEANER brush and it works much better, thank you Anthony:play: