Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jul 7, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    We all know you germans love that beer

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Don't worry so much about money. You're young and can be totally irresponsible and get away with it at your age, run with it!
    The time will come far too soon when you will need to have a job to support yourself and that will continue almost until you die.
    Don't rush into a job
    Practice and go out and have fun.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey im a sophomore, I never say anything about hitting double Gs, last time I checked my post wasn't exactly what i call stupid....it was a mere suggestion.

Also I have to agree with the suggestion to check with the elementary school director. See if he thinks your ready to help out students, maybe even just be like a "tutor" to the kids who need some help or a confidence boost. Don't do it for the money, do it for fun, and to help kids grow to love trumpet!

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    That wasn't very intelligent.:-(

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Forget about teaching; practice, practice, practice that's my advice. If you work hard and have talent people will pay you to play. Wynton Marsalis, Louis Armstrong, Harry Glantz, and many other trumpeters earned money around your age, but they only achieved that through hard, intelligent work. Teaching is not an easy option. During this serious recession, parents (who have the money) will only pay for legit teachers.

To conclude, it is fine to have teaching as an aim in life, but for now learn the "tools of your trade" and a bit about life and people first of all. Information/knowledge is only a small part of teaching, it takes experience/ life experience to effectively depart that knowledge to meet an individuals needs.

Word out

B.U.M.

6. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    No previous investment, do you mean practicing, well how about 13 hours a week, 9 years, that enough of an investment?

Oh, and when you sick up, have fun cleaning it up.
    I did, but that went down as well as wine at an oktober fest.

Don't have them over here.

Make my day and post something that isn't trying to offend me.

Just because I can, I'm going to say, no Ireland does, as I know it won't go down well.

I go out and have fun too much, but my conductors don't when my tuning slide slowly slides out through a rehearsal because it being a poor quality, old trumpet, hence why I want a job, to get a new one.

As I've said before in this post, that sort of Band program doesn't exist where I live. But I do help out at a brass band training band, so I'm busy in that department.

Obviously posting anything that any one can disagree with in any way is a bad idea here, so my next post will have to be called, playing concerts to give money to charity.

So in conclusion I think I'll say, screw it, I'll just be skint and playing on a ham sandwich.

Thanks everyone, especially you Rowuk.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Time to shut it down Rowuk.

Th OP doesn't care and the others don't have a clue.

If you're going to flame the mods, the thread will probably disappear.

Hey TrumpetHerald has a lot of people who will tell you just what you want to hear.

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I am afraid my sympathy is limited. I learned on an old banged out Boosey and Hawkes trumpet, which was probably no better than your "ham sandwich." I still managed to make it sound good, and play Arban studies on it.

If you are good you will make even a hosepipe with with a funnel and mouthpiece attached sound good. Willy Lang (ex LSO principal trumpet) did.

9. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Flaming...
    I told him to enjoy cleaning his sick up, best to look at the bright side of it.

I asked him not to offend me.

I said I think Irish beer is better, then German in my opinion.

If those things are flaming, then delete the post, good day to you.

P.s. I'm going to go and join Trumpet Herald, maybe they won't take beverage preferences as an insult there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Mamba21500,

Being around the same age, I see how Rowuk's post came across as offensive, I found it pretty offensive aswell, but the classic saying stands, two wrongs don't make a right. Rowuk knows what he is talking about, best listen to him, his advice, when you take it always seems to work out.

So essentially what I am saying is don't take that post to heart, people don't all read things the same, I took his post the same way you did, but I thought about it and figured maybe Rowuk didn't realize they way he put it, or because its text, we don't get the true meaning behind what he is saying.

I hope what I said makes sense, and if not, have fun over at TH....