Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  2. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Lets also remember an ability to play, does not equal an ability to teach. Granted one must be able to play (and I mean play very well) to teach, but just playing well is not a guarantee one will be a good teacher.

I have met fantastic players who could not teach well at all.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I agree that rowuk knows his stuff very well, but as a kid around mamba's age, the way he put his advice was wayyy to harsh. If it weren't were the fact he is normally right I would of probably left. Although it wasn't directed towards me, I think he should at least go back and reword his posts, thats a post that chases people away from here.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Always a problem when someone appears to agree and then says "BUT"

Rowuk was NOT too harsh.

Why is it that people cannot stand to have the truth spoken to them?

Why do we have to candy coat everything so as to not hurt someone's fragile feelings?

Between the OPs post, and his instant attitude he got when disagreed with, and Rowuks answer to him, he should have maybe reconsidered his position.

But no...after all he has played 50 gigs! WOW!

To quote Mamba with his own sarcasm

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Because humans normally get along with some dose of politeness. If the first thing you say in a conversation is "you're a complete idiot," people who don't already revere you aren't going to take it kindly.

It's not a matter of "candy coating" - it's a matter of basic communications. Rowuk may have stopped this one guy from teaching, but the way he did it leaves a lot of us shaking our heads. There are much better ways to tell people the truth than to jump to "you make me sick."

There was no need for that extra cost to his reputation - and this could have been a much better thread as a result.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    How long has it been since some of you were kids? Some of the stuff that rowuk said was a true insult, nothing more, nothing less.

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    This was the first offense, right here.
    He's looking to use someone. Expecting one with 30+ years of knowledge to give him for free on a thread, like that's possible,so he can take it and so easily, he assumes, and go out and make money.

Somewhere on page five, this point has gotten lost.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Someone tell me this wasn't an insult and ill stop.

10. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Uh, you know, aren't we all here to ask and answer questions? Is that somehow using each other in a way that I should be concerned about?

If you don't want to share the knowledge you have, why would you hang out in a place like this? And take the risk of people asking questions, hoping for an answer?