Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jul 7, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    this wasn't an insult

Bachstul likes this.
  2. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I've been chewed out on TM before, by many guys here (I won't mention any names). But I've come to find out that they were right all along, just being blunt as I needed to see it. I was always the one who was wrong whenever I rejected their advice or made a big deal about them "being harsh and offending". Listen to them, mambo, they have a lot more experience on their plate, and always turn out to be right in their advice and always have a good reason behind how they are treating you. The whole reason behind starting a thread is to be open to comments, but all you seem to be doing is rejecting all this advice :thumbdown:.

You should let that sink in.

I may not be experienced enough to say, but I agree with everyone who says you would be doing a lot of harm in teaching. There are so many fundamentals that only professionals have a good grasp on, that it would be bad to teach the wrong fundamentals, really bad. Teaching trumpet is a good goal, but you wouldn't be ready for quite some time. But what I do recommend is that you take private lessons.

400th post, YEAH!!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    You are right. In fact I just got off a Medical Chat Forum, I asked for one to pour two masters degrees and twenty years of experience on me like water on an internet thread and it worked!

I'm performing my first heart transplant today, and buying a BMW tonight! And that poor sucker is still paying off his student loans!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Recently I read an old post of mine.
    Reading it now, I thought it was a little harsh.
    Sometimes it's easy to put down what pops into your mind without realizing how it may be taken.
    This is all written, no body movement or inflection in the voice.

The idea of the forum is to exchange ideas and share and teach.
    Lets just be nice and teach and learn and be civil.

In Robins defense:
    He is a moderator and has volunteered to read almost everything on his forum. Sometimes he is overwhelmed with ideas from young kids that are off for the summer. The same subjects come up over and over again and he has to read them all. I can see how this can get to a person. We get kids that post as if they play in the Boston Symphony. I don't have to read it but, the moderator does. He does it for FREE.

So,
    kids who are reading, think of the moderator and take what ever advice you get and use it. If you think the guy is an ..... use what he says anyway. It's free advice!

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Thank you for explaining this to me, I was kinda thinking maybe that was why Robin was saying what he did how he did. Im done with this thread, but this is all I was asking for to give me an explanation as to why that wasn't being harsh.

Btw, i don't think rowuk is an ... at all, his advice has always helped me and my playing grow. i just thought this wasn't fair how he put it, in a kids eyes.

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I realize there's a lot involved in mastering trumpet, but this is ridiculous. Go back and read the original post.

The question wasn't "give me all the experience you've ever had so that I can share it with my students" - it was a lot duller and more practical:

I think that if you asked on a medical chat room about billing, we might trust you to fill out the paperwork. I know it's complicated, but it's not surgery.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I've already studied the original post; he's looking for free and easy advice to benefit his wallet.

You added the words..."share it with my students." He doesn't have any students.

8. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    If you want to read the post in the most hostile manner possible, that's your choice, I guess.

9. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You make me laugh, he was bein a jerk to me, I asked for advice on achieveing a double G and if it was possible to achieve it by this nov. He was being a certain word... Anyways he told me only illiterate people try to achieve a double G and that I have no need for it. I do need it, A) it will help me get a college scholorship for jazz (which I am about to learn) B) its useful in marching band C) If I can get enough of a college scholorship ill be able to afford to go off and do drum corp for a year, then ill finish up my schooling as a band director. So yeah I kinda do want it with a good reason for it.:play:

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I give up !!!