Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I graduated HS in '82. Since I have dealt with tens of thousands of people in the social and business world; lived in 3 locations of this country.

I can honestly say how I interpreted his post was not by choice, it was by experience.

2. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    While I'm a relative youngster, having graduated HS in '88, and having lived in various parts of this country while interacting with tens of thousands of people socially and in business.

Perhaps it's just that I somehow dealt with a nicer group of people? Because you really come off as, I don't know exactly, but uncharitable is the kindest word I can find at the moment.

If that's where your experience led you, I'm very sorry.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey he has helped me out lots, not what id call a mean person. Im even younger then you, but we all took the posts differently, its not even on topic anymore.

Bachstul likes this.
  4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    A high G won't get you a scholarship. Playing musically, and having solid technique will.
    If you want a scholarship for jazz, practice jazz, not high notes. Learn tunes and scales and how to swing and phrase.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    He probably called you illiterate because G above high C is a "high G." A "double G" would be another octave up. It's been explaned in dozens of threads here lately.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So, now that many have posted "for" me, trying to explain what I meant, reletavate my tone, defend or chastize my position, it is perhaps time for the original.

I stand behind what I believe to be the truth. The other day, I read that there is no truth, merely perception and here may be the key to this thread.

Harsh is a word that came up.
    I think it is harsh to take money for something you are not qualified in the least to do.
    Harsh is lack of respect for the person you want to teach when you have no skills.
    Harsh is the inability to look in the mirror and see that it is not the message bearer that is the problem.

So that being out of the way, lets go to part two where is said that I can only support something like this if it is monitored by someone in the know. I do advocate students teaching students - in a supervised setting where the teacher overseeing the project makes sure that goals are set and met. This should never be "the students student". They are all under the supervision of the teacher.

My brainless comment was out of line, but not the underlying message. With all of the resources available on the internet, why should we spoon feed the lazy. If someone wants to teach, shouldn't I expect that they at least know the names of the notes?

I said that I would lock down the thread if it got more ridiculous. What came afterwards was a critical view of freedom of speech, a split in the deaf leading the blind.

What is very clearly displayed to me is that some pubescent males have a rough time looking in the mirror, are very self centred (the thread owner is English, otherwise I would have written centered) and have a low level of respect for their potential prey. I think that deserves a spanking, and did so verbally. Judging from the responses, I think the message got through. Human beings learn in two ways, repetition and pain or fear. As many young players are not into repetition, I use alternate methods that also work..............................

I would not be me without offering a solution however. Mr. Mambo, you need to do some research. If you look up my posts on Circle of breath and daily routine you will find what I consider to be "universal truths" (although as I posted, they are probably just perceptions). They are pretty safe for any level of trumpet maturity. My second suggestion is to play duets with other players (for free). Ensemble playing is the quickest way to learn. We see our own problems as well as those from the others.
    Third, go to the pharmacy and pick up some "Anhydrous Lanolin". Your slippery tuning slide just needs some heavier grease and this is the cheapest and best that I know of!

Finally, for those of you that think I am unnecessarily tough: go to any successful high school sports program and listen to the coach during training. If your eyes and ears are open, you may discover something very significant about pedagogy and adolescence.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    You make a lot of very good points in that post, I take back what I said about your points being harsh, I guess I just needed you to put what you said in a different perspective.

Thanks, good lessons right that there in that post!
    -Kristina

8. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    If your free lessons didn't go well, don't pursue it. Practice, and take the time to be a kid. You don't need to worry about jobs yet. Try the lessons later, with more experience under your belt.

9. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    It's not the lessons that didn't go well, it's the fact that the students parents are WAY over protective.

And Rowuk, sorry about what I said, I guess your post just urinated me off, the tone of your last post was much helpful.

10. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    I see. Did you do them at their houses or at school? I can see the home lessons not going as well, but staying after school or during band when nothing else is happening would be a good time to take some lesson time, in my opinion.