Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jul 7, 2009.

1. geobe

geobe New Friend

Apr 25, 2009
    Give 'em Hell Rowuk, I don't care what they say. This site would be a lot less interesting without your childish shenanigans. I do appreciate that you're very knowledgable and you put a great deal of time into answering posts, but sometimes your over the top crankiness is just ridiculous. Peace my friend.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

A perfect example of that Bovine excrement described in the Horns Forum.

Peace expressed after belligerent sarcasm.

geobe, who the ----- are you? this is your 4th post and you are insulting one with over six thousand posts, many of which consumed much time in reply, and thought. ....from his "free time", which is usually time taken away from friends and family.

As long as he has put up with butt holes like you, I, long ago, would have been "spraying bullets".

geobe, I look forward to meeting you on a thread again, soon.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not childish or shenanigans. Just basic parenting and moral responsibility with a touch of poetic license. A far as cranky goes, mood swings were never one of my problems.

I take great issue with wishy washy parenting, wanting to be the childs best friend and not addressing the REAL problem in fear someone could get their feelings hurt.

There is a straight and narrow. I feel sorry for all of the kids that are left to themselves to figure out what is right. Heck if this type of thinking keeps up, children will be able to sue their parents for making them clean up their rooms - it could be considered psycho terror.

Nope, tried and true conservative parenting, free of all of that wimpy stuff that makes kids terrorists instead of part of the family. Chores and family events come with the territory.

For your information, I am not looking for "approval". What I do works in real trumpet lessons too. I have no shortage of students, and many parents wish they had a similar handle on their kids behaviour. Just set the goal. The children will achieve. Reward when the goal is reached.

It took only Mambo a couple of posts to figure out what I meant. We have no heartburn.

You only have peace when you demand and get responsibility. Ask anyone living in the middle east where the only responsibility is to ones own clan.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am sure that you can order custom Octav-eye-zer in G ROFL Whatever, I just couldn't help to bring some laughs to this thread...Who cares if Pat played F or G? :shock:

5. geobe

geobe New Friend

Apr 25, 2009
    Bachstul, if you were honest enough to quote my whole post it would be hard to say it was belligerant. Sarcastic absolutely, but I also said Rowuk is very knowledgeable and generous with his time. Thats respect. That doesn't mean everything he says is justified. This whole thread began with Rowuk telling a 14 year old kid asking for advice he sickened him. I stand by saying that's a childish way to act.
    You ask me who I am, (in so many words) My name is George, I live in the North East U.S.. I've played the trumpet for 40 years. I studied music for 3 years in college, though I don't have a degree in music. I don't pretend to be a great player but I know what I'm doing and where I want to go with it. More importantly for this post I have 2 children, despite the fact I've never told either of them they sickened me they have both managed to grow up to be respectful and creative adults. I've spent most of my life either being a kid or being around them and I've learned some things about respect. It has to be a 2 way street. That doesnt mean you treat a child as an equal but when you tell them they sicken you a line has been crossed. It's reasonable to point that out, even if it's by a sarcastic jerk whose only made 4 posts.
    Peace, (just a thought)
    Geobe

6. geobe

geobe New Friend

Apr 25, 2009
    Rowuk, my apologies to you if your were put out by my sarcasm. I'm well aware you're not looking for "approval" and thought your skin was probably thick enough to take it. You speak about parenting, unless I've seriously missed something here you're not Mambos father. I've got no gripe with you telling him to go practice more before he teaches, as I said to Bachstul you crossed a line when you said he sickened you. There is a time to take off the gloves and go ahead and treat someone with contempt. A kid asking, naively, for help is not it. You say it only took Mambo a couple posts to figure out what you meant. I read the whole thread, every post he made after yours was angry and defensive. until quite a ways in you responded as the helpful avuncular rowuk and told him how to keep his slide from falling out. Treating people with insults doesn't make them humble or respectful, it makes them angry and insulting. I completely agree with you about peace and responsibility. Responsibility doesn't come from fear though it comes from respect.
    Peace,
    Geobe

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    I'm sure at the time, it all seemed like a good idea.
    But you have to remember, this is TRUMPET MASTER for a reason.
    No crime, no foul.
    It's just that we like to KEEP IT REAL here!

peace and chicken grease!
    Clarence

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    true that man... glad to see its all cooling down... well any ways, i totally feel rowuks thing on being like a highschool coach... there is a trumpet player who does sectionals with us at our school, and he takes a smart different less typical "band teacher" approach. its alot of fun learning from him, cuz when you f up, he lets you know, which i think we all need... some one who cant take negative criticism shouldnt try to make it in music, or learn to take it, cuz one way or the other youre gonna get it! nice to know we're all seein the light...

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Hi Geobe, I did it again, I "edited" your post. Not really, the whole post is still above; nothing in the trash, I do it all the time when I quote to save a reader from re-reading. I'm not being dishonest. This way I can comment only on what portion I want to comment on. Thanks.

And by the way, I know how the whole thread began.

Do you know a couple months ago their was a (sweet innocent) 14 year old who conned someone for a free trumpet here, then tried to sell it? Did you know that? "A kid, asking naively for that" as you say.......... I can help direct you to those threads if you're interested... And I want to tell you. We were naive kids, kids today are not.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  10. dponath

dponath New Friend

May 2, 2009
    DOTCOTE
    Perhaps the young man should have used the word "tutor" instead of "teach"? Hmmmm.