Amati Kraslice flugelhorn leadpipe question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edfitzvb, May 31, 2013.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I recently bought a second flugelhorn on eBay as a backup. It had a detached leadpipe and a couple of dents. When it arrived, I placed the leadpipe in place and played it with my Bach 10 1/2AFL mouthpiece and was delighted at the quality of sound. I then sent it to my repairmen to be re-soldered. They then pointed out to me that there was no locking mechanism for the receiver, and they said there was red rot present. They then ordered a new leadpipe from factory in the Czech Republic. Fast forward from March 18 to May 30, I get a phone call that the piece came in and my horn is ready. I go to pick it up and the receiver swallows the mouthpiece. BUT a trumpet mouthpiece bottoms out and fits poorly. Is the leadpipe for a European taper flugelhorn mouthpiece? Can I get an adapter? I left the horn at the shop while I await answers from those more experienced than I. At this point, if there is an adapter I think I would rather go that route.... HELP!!!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In Europe, many flugelhorns are used in oompah bands and traditionally played with a trumpet mouthpiece - yes, indeed. Usually a fairly shallow trumpet mouthpiece, too, because flugel parts in these wind bands tend to be rather high affairs. A high C is quite common, and some polkas go even higher - on the flugel, i.e. the main melody part. Most rotary flugels come with a trumpet shank leadpipe and receiver only; and many perinet flugels built there can be had with either flugel or trumpet shank. In those cases where the manufacturer supplies two receivers, the smaller-size one tends to get lost...
    However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel (and no, it is NOT the oncoming train): there are inexpensive adapters around, and they work very well indeed.
    So, get one (Thomann Cyberstore) and enjoy the horn!

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Thank you. That was my hope. I was quite surprised by the serviceability of this little horn when I played it. I very much appreciate the link.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Final update.... The shop called me and said they were able to salvage the original receiver. I now have one for flugel and one for cornet. happy ending