Amati Piccolo trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Brlee2003, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Brlee2003

Brlee2003 New Friend

Feb 9, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Has anyone ever played an Amati picc? Any idea how good they are? Comments? I'm in the market for a picc, but don't have a lot to spend (I'm a college student). Have any suggestions?

2. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    Amati = Crap

3. David Oulton

David Oulton New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Made in the Czech Republic. Like many upstart inexpensive companies, their initial offerings have been disappointing. They seemed to have improved some ... but not enough to buy anything except and entry level horn.

But keep an eye on them. Jupiter has worked hard to improve, and actually is gaining on its quality. Perhaps Amati can too. If not, they will not last long.

M&C

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Brlee, you might consider the Kanstul pics. I recall a few folk saying how much they like them. I recommend asking in the Kanstul forum (although it seems that most folks read all the forums to stay "on top of things").

6. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    Upstart? If you believe the website, they've been around since the 18th century.
    Get this little quote from the Amati site:
    "But the company doesn't "lose the face" compared to the worldwide standard as well."
    Looks like someone is trying to salvage a reputation!

7. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Even the best piccolo trumpets are hard to play. Yamaha makes a good student piccolo, if I'm not mistaken. Also check out the Getzen Capri; the valves are guaranteed to be good! I'm in the market for a Stomvi or a Schilke, myself. One thing's for sure- steer clear of Amati.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Oh, I would guess they have been around for awhile in some form or another. But only recently has their distribution been more global. They have a ways to go before they can honestly say the "don't lose face" compared to the worldwide standards.

9. Harald

Harald New Friend

Sep 11, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I purchased my Amati piccolo directly at the factory in Kraslic about 10 years ago. I love it and for me it plays excellent. The valves are very fast and reliable. I use it mostly in A and according to my electronic tuner it is well in tune. When I purchased it it came with only one leadpipe that was supposed to be further extended for A and more pushed in for B-flat. I sent them an e-mail and asked for an extra leadpipe in A and two weeks later a leadpipe for tuning in A was in my mailbox. Thus, in my experience, the customer service is just excellent. Also, the tone quality of the ATR 382 (my model) is very nice. I have used it regularly for 10 years now and I love it.

Regarding the company: it is located in what is called the "Musikwinkel", a region in the "Vogtland" that is known for a long history of musical instrument making. For example the famous Meister Scherzer piccolos are made in the same regional area. They have made musical instruments there when the USA did not even exist. Thus, there is a long tradition and a high level of experience in this general geographic region. Of course, communism has left its marks and the companies are not totally up to western standards yet. But the companies in the Vogtland, including Amati, in my opinion, have great potential for the future.

10. efeatherston

efeatherston New Friend

Nov 3, 2009
    Any more recent feedback on the Amati? Most of the notes are 5 yrs old, have they improved at all, or still not worth a look. (I see one good comment from last year, any other current feedback welcome)