Amati Rotary Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, May 2, 2015.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    FD, I do not know, at that price and endorsed by Tony I dont think it matters, not in the market for another horn at the moment, have too many already. Would like to try one but not much chance here.

Regards, Stuart.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    May I put in my few cents' worth of opinion here?

The OP has an enormous interest in trumpet playing. He has no or little experience - that makes some of his questions seem inane or redundant to experienced members of this community. And obviously the OP does not have anyone to talk about these issues face-to-face, or we would not read his questions here. His trumpet teacher - by the way he handled that question about vintage instruments and their health risks - seems to keep a few bees under his bonnet, so the OP has no support there.

Still, that has not discouraged him from playing trumpet and showing his interest in everything connected with it. We shoúld be happy to have someone as active in this forum, someone, that touches not only the mainstream - the eternal hunt for Cavalier serial numbers or the question "which mouthpiece?" - but the fringes and history of brass playing. Any TM member should be proud of being able to assist this young personality in developing - not just accusing him of being a troll, or even worse. I see him as a very young, incipient David Guerrier. Can you imagine what would have happened if someone had ridden rough-shod over him? An unconventional but extremely interesting musician might just have given up. And putting him on your ignore list is only slightly better.

As to the accusation of "putting useless questions": Imagine what would have happened if some people had not asked themselves or others questions that were deemed "useless" at the time.
    Imagine this: Sir Isaac Newton is sitting under the apple tree. The apple falls, hits him on the head. He just looks at the apple, grabs it and eats it.
    Result - no laws of gravitation.

Or imagine this: Copernicus looks at the sky and the revolutions of the celestial bodies. And just sees those complicated loops and thinks: "I'll have to draw these up for my housekeeper - might make a nice pattern for a knitted sweater."
    Result - no true view of the Solar System.

And finally: Imagine an early Human look at a bush fire, and not thinking "How can I use this fire for myself?" but just "I'm afraid! Afraid!".
    Result - no central heating, and only raw food... for millenia...

I've heard a quote -can't remember by whom - that I respect at any time: "Never ignore useless questions - you never know when the answers might be vital."

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    You are a kind person.
    I respect you mightily.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Thank you. That is a comment that I deeply appreciate.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    300 Euros is too much money for an Amati, regardless of condition. 150 Euros would be O.K. if it were in decent shape, 80 Euros is not too much if the horn still works. The cheapest one would need some work, so it would end up probably not being cheaper. You are in New Zealand, the horn is in Germany, if it is not what it seems, it is quite an investment.