Amazing Chris Botti

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daleptt, Jul 16, 2011.

1. daleptt

daleptt New Friend

Apr 25, 2011
    I went to see Chris Botti last night in concert with the San Francisco Symphany. Wow! A great show. He is one super trumpet player, and he has surrounded himself with some great artist. Also, the two and half hour show started exactly on time, which always impresses me.

Anyway, I seldom hear anyone talking about how good Botti really is. I am in awe.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

That's because he seems quite boring actually. The kind of trumpet player a saxophonist listens to. Not a trumpet player.

I'd rather hear Miles play all the wrong notes up and down the scale than Botti or even Marsalis blow the correct pitches.

Botti: One notch above smooth jazz. A sound built to please everyone who doesn't much like the trumpet...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well, my reply to Local 357 is CHILL. Somebody likes someone and what is the need to spoil the buzz? No one really cares what a spoil-sport has to contribute.

I have been a life-long musician, remember the day I heard Take 5, and I know what smooth is. Botti is not only many steps away, but he can play the trumpet really well.

Your second sentence says a lot about you , Local, and not what you'd like to think.

Dale - I am with you man. One Botti concert under my belt and it was GRRRRREAT! He is a superb entertainer and a fine musician.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Marsalis and Botti are relatively boring to me. Each technically superior but not much feeling or passion.

Call 'em the way I see 'em.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Don't feed the trolls.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Veery, I was at the same concert you were at. Chris Botti didn't miss a note. He has a command of the trumpet way beyond me. His support for music education is outstanding. I am not a fan of Kenny G, but he does sell records and I make money playing his Wedding Song at weddings.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I always find it interesting how closed minds blow off talent. I guess if someone thinks Wynton is boring, they need their ears cleaned. No one has to like all styles of music and prefer the same players, but when you go into an experience with all sorts of personal baggage, you miss what the Marsalis' and Bottis' have to say. I feel sorry for those poor souls, not even capable of finding anything good in world class...............

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So at the risk of running this thread off course, Local 357, can you give us an example of which trumpet player you find plays with much feeling or passion?

...just to give us a ball park idea of where you are coming from?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or perhaps this commentary outlines where Local is coming from!

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I take exception somewhat (mildly, not passionately) to the criticisms of the criticism. What kind of discussion is it when everyone agrees? Where's the opportunity to have one's thinking challenged? Seems to me that's counter-productive to what a forum is all about - sharing ideas, not rubber stamping them.

So. Be that as it may. :whistle:in that light, another response.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the show, daleptt. Chris is a superb player and there's no reason why you shouldn't be knocked out by it - maybe even have found a role model in him. For my own taste though like was mentioned above, I also lose interest after a while - too much overall sameness.

Someone who performs and is promoted in a somewhat similar fashion is Til Brönner. If you like Chris, you'll likely enjoy Brönner as well. I believe there are some videos on YouTube. The difference, as I see it, is that Chris' programs stay pretty much reserved, musically, while Brönner's have a smooth jazz nucleus but also have some seriously improvisational blowing and I just find that more interesting to listen to over a sustained period of time.

There's room for both. Check 'em out.