Amazing difference

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Glennx, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm still not quite believing the results...

Dedicated comeback player since 2009. University music education. Former high school teacher. Recording engineer-trained ears. Big band (solo chair) & community concert band (1st book). Practicing 45-90 mins/night. Small house. Very understanding spouse :)

Chops felt puffy night after night. Read good advice to start tone softly without tongue attack. Experimented to make that happen. Also recalled reading comment by Phil Smith about remarkable difference as a result of lowering the angle of the horn a bit. Combined the two and went looking...and found the sweet spot where everything lined up.

WOW. Tone starting softly all the time now with breath attack only. Finally a solid embouchure after years of insecurity. Range taking off. Control is amazing. A flat chin and never-before-experienced lower lip control now happening. Tone centered. Playing r-e-l-a-x-e-d in all registers. Not a pressure player by any means, but what a difference just a slight lowered angle made.

Not for everyone, of course, but I'm getting amazing results and having a blast. Very, very satisfying now to play trumpet. Freely offered.

KHT, gwood66, scottfsmith and 3 others like this.
  2. OldKing

OldKing Piano User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    Well done. Music major/comeback player here too. If we're not enjoying it, there's no point!

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used to have that "Al Hirt" trumpet/embouchure angle (head down, horn angled up), but that was the only similarity to Al... :lol:. About 5 years ago, I began slowly moving my horn angle downward, a little at a time, which also opened up my breathing. I now play with the horn perpendicular to my face and am a much better player because of it - better sound, better dynamics, more endurance. It's difficult to break years of bad habits, though.

curlydoc likes this.
  4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    See my avatar.
    I am probably playing a high note in that picture because my head and horn position is usually a bit lower than shown, and I do tilt upward when playing high notes. That was my playing position even before my comeback. I never felt a need to change it.