Amazing discovery!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jul 20, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi all. I experimented with my MPC position yesterday and found out that MPC position has absolutely nothing to do with range, and other things as well, like endurance or articulation

2. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Frank,

I think you are definitely going to have to expand on this one.

Cheers

Paul.

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    ok here it is. I used to play 60% up 40% down, but then I saw some Miles Davis and Wynton Marsalis photographs of their embouchure and MPC position and it looked ackward to me because they use something like 30% up , maybe even less, mybe even 25%. And then I started experimenting, I placed my lips 20% UP on the MPC. At first it seemed strange but after 5 minutes I was able to play my usual scales, nothing dramatical happened. I could even articulate the same way. I repeat it did feel a bit odd, but nothing happened. I expected a loss in range, I expected troubles while playing but nothing happened. This led me to conclusion that MPC position has little if nothing to do with tpt playing.
    On the other hand if I do not warm up properly (stamp breathing excersises, long notes, slurs) than I can lose up to an octave, would you beleive

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Frank, how long have you been playing and how developed are your chops? The reason I ask is that changing mouthpiece position can have a major impact for some players, even though it might not currently seem to do much for you.

Also keep in mind that most players play where they do because their teeth and bite dictate where the mouthpiece is going to be - i.e., it's more comfortable where they put it. I know that in my own experience playing my mouthpiece has shifted a lot. When I was first in HS I was about 3/4 on the top lip, but as things changed in my playing and when I started up as an Army bandsman, I shifted to a 1/3 top, 2/3 lower setting. At this stage I'm reverse of what I was in the Army with about 2/3 on top, 1/3 lower.

It's not something I think about too much - I just put the mouthpiece where it feels right and I play.

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I do not know how developed my chops are but I can play up to high C sometimes even up to high D, and pretty loud also. I have been playing since July 2007 but I had 18 months pause during 2008 and 2009 due to double pneumonia. I almost died. So I really picked it up again in summer of 2009, and hasnt stopped since. I play at least an hour a day every day. Sometimes during the weekends I manage to pull something crazy like 4 hours a day.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok, so basically 18 months of chops development. Not exactly what I would call chops that are fully developed. ;-)

It's cool that you are working hard though - that's the key to success. Sorry to hear about the double pneumonia, but it's good that you go through it.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    What!?!
    OK, here goes. The reason you can play at the particular level that you play with the mouthpiece anywhere on your chops is because you are either:
    1)Just starting out and still experimenting
    2)Same as #1
    --------------
    Its great that you are checking things out but in time you'll discover where it "feels" the best and there it is. This however can be good or bad. I would recommend spending a few dollars for a lesson or two with one of the local University trumpet professors. What you want help with is to make sure you are placing the mouthpiece in the best position for you. Good Luck
    I play 1/3 upper 2/3 lower

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Oh yeah?? Try playing with the mouthpiece an inch from your lips and tell me position means nothing!!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sometimes it is REAL easy to tell how advanced a player is.

Position makes a HUGE difference when you are really playing and not short term fiddling.

For 5 minutes most players can do just about anything. After that, the world falls apart.

The only way to get good is to develop a consistency of body, brain and mind. Goofing around is OK as long as no one is counting on your performance.

Looking at other players embouchures is not really a big help because you only see the outside. That is not where most of the action is happening.

ca5tr0 likes this.
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You really can't tell where the mpc is on the chops by looking at the outside. The inside edge of the mpc on the lips determines the amount of lip in the mpc.. I know how to tell but if I tell you I would have to shoot you!