Amazing discovery!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jul 20, 2010.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Bwahahahahahaha!

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Maybe Im just a babe in the woods but doesnt what mpc and where you place it make all the difference in the world? Even a "cheap" trumpet can be somewhat respectable with the right mpc and lips on it. Every player knows what feels right and spends time and money galore to find it. Experimenting with change is all well and good but when you instinctually just pick it up and play...that is where it belongs for you. Looking at other players just shows us that every one has a different set and thats ok. You make a bold claim but I dont think you convinced many of us. Best wishes.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Of course it does. We are creatures of habit. Our playing is best where we have the best and most training.

It is summer, and we get different types of posts during this time of the year. It must have something to do with being bored..........

4. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    I have to be honest and say that during this month of july I put in about 4 hours total into practicing.... My college director will not be happy... Oh well this was the last real vacation I will have for a couple years because DCI will be filling my summers for the next few years......

With that said I can tell you guys that I can pick my horn up right now and put it to my lips and tell instantly where that mouth piece has to go to play my best. Even if I have lack of practice lately, it becomes a familiar place and I can do it instinctively. I've been playing for 8 years now and my chops have developed into what allows me to play the best of my ability. I am not an out of this world player, but I can manage a challenge. I believe it doesn't matter if you have been playing for 30 years. If you haven't worked your chops correctly during those 30 years you won't advance in skill. I started playing seriously about 3 years ago, since then my level has distinctively increased. I went from a regular 2nd part player to a lead player and section leader and then Band captain. It takes lots of work to get where you want and I think messing around with whats familiar is a bad idea because you are working extra for nothing because you won't advance. Example: Would you try to fix a car that isn't broken? No because then you might end up with something broken.

I think you should invest on a few lessons and just play where you feel comfortable. It's good to look at other good players, but remember that everyone is different and that what works for them may not work for you. Just work hard, not too hard. Take one day off a week. You don't want to damage something. Then come back and start up again.

I hope you keep progressing in your abilities and let us know in a couple months how your chops are doing.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Try stickin' it in the big end. ROFL

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Four hours total? What in the world are you doing with your time that you can't find the time to do at least basic chops maintenance? Seriously, among the list of things I have to do that don't involve trumpet playing:

I work a full time, 9-5 type job as a DBA
    I maintain a home/yard and two vehicles
    I have two kids
    I play drums every other week for my church's praise band
    etc - it's a full life

I have gotten more than four hours of horn time THIS WEEK. It's not always easy to do it - your situation might be different than mine but I have a room in my basement which allows me to practice late at night, even if people are asleep two floors up. I MAKE the time - this month has been an off month where the party band I play in is concerned. By the time we play the gig this weekend we'll have been off for a little over a month.

Maybe it's because I have that gig commitmen that I continue to do practice and maintenance, but you should be able to find the time to get more than four hours in over the course of a month.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    4 hours total for a month during summer vacation?

Ah youth...

8. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Trickg I know 4 hours sounds pathetic..... But I was on vacation and I wont be having a real vacation for a while. I was with my family one good last time before college. I did play everyday, but it was only long tones, slurs, and scales. That only lasted about 15 minutes. I do feel a bit disgusted with my self, but I will have time to make up for it. As soon as I get home tomorrow I will return to my regular practice session.