Amazing Getzen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Well, amazing to me, anyway...so I thought I'd share my initial assessment here (pardon me while I gush).

I just received my first new horn yesterday: a Getzen Proteus 907S bought from Brassmanflying on Ebay. I did a lot of research before deciding on this one, and TM was a great source of feedback. It replaces my newly-acquired used Getzen 700 Eterna II, which I've really come to like a lot in the short time I've had it (and is now for sale). It replaced the mint Yamaha 2335 I'd been playing over the past year.

The Proteus valves are 'Getzen perfect' - couldn't ask for or need better, but what amazes me is the response: the horn really does sing - I can feel it resonating in my hand while I play. And the efficiency is amazing - it seems to fill the room with noticably less effort than even the Eterna. Fit & finish are excellent.

Tried it last night at a swing big band rehearsal, and to paraphrase Rowuk's comment from another post in reference to a Yamaha 6335: you can really make your lead trumpet player sweat playing one of these beside him (heh heh). It's all the horn I'll need for a long time...unless I win the lottery, retire tomorrow, and get the time to practice 4-5 hours/day!

One curious thing: this horn sat on E-bay for weeks with no takers at all, and was re-listed 3 times before I won it. The price for this new Proteus? $850 USD.

2. gregplo

gregplo Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2004
    North Carolina, USA
    I tried the Proteus a couple of months back. Great horn...reminded me of the Severinsen Eterna I used to own. I prefer a little freer blowing horn and ended up with a Getzen Genesis. I also picked up a gold plated Canadian Brass CB10 by Getzen (circa 1994). Love both horns...Congrats on your Proteus!

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Wow. Congratulations on a great deal. That's what happens when you watch carefully for the 'stealth' items. I'm happy that you are enjoying it. That's what makes trumpet playing so much fun.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Gotta love those Getzens. I toured the factory just over a year ago and play tested the entire line, artist models, genesis, proteous and eternas and settled on the 900s Eterna Classic. It just fit me to a T. Welcome to the Getzen world. After a year it still amazes me every time I play. Im a mediocre player at best but it helps me keep up to the big dogs for the most part, at least they know my name. It definetly outplays my Xeno and you know how respected they are. Best wishes.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  5. garface

garface New Friend

Mar 7, 2010
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic right here. love it love it love it. i love the sound and quality of getzens