Amazing mellophone solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Nov 18, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice video.

Looked/sounded more like a baritone to me...

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    nice music chet fan. Thanks for sharing.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Based on a discussion in another thread, that instrument could be called a bass trumpet or a marching valve trombone. But, the mouthpiece does appear to be larger than a trombone mouthpiece - i.e., either a baritone or tuba. In one of the debates about the taxonomy (classification) of instruments, the conclusion was that the mouthpiece determines what category the instrument is. So, apparently calling it a marching baritone could be correct.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Baritones are pitched in Bb, same as tenor trombones and euphoniums, and baritone mouthpieces are no larger than trombone mouthpieces. The mouthpiece in the above video appears to have a large "footprint" on the player's face, but that could be the result of a wide rim... or something else. Maybe he's playing a larger-than-standard custom piece.

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Thats neither baritone nor trombone it is simply Marching French horn with tpt style MPC aka Mellophone

That guy also started a thread a while ago askin can Mellophone be used as a lead instrument, and rowuk gave answer

guess rowuk was wrong!?!?!

heres the original thread

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/can-mellophone-used-lead-instrument-54182.html

there are videos inside of some mellophones

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If it was so "simple" then I guess there wouldn't be a debate about it, would there? Go to the end of the video where they show the left-hand side of the horn. Bell flare and wrap are very large.

Marching french horns do not take trombone/baritone mouthpieces, and marching french horns are different than mellophones.

Kanstul.com

Marching trombones take trombone mouthpieces:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A marching Mellophone takes a trumpet or french horn size rim. The mpc in the video is a trombone size mpc. The sound is in the range of a trombone - baritone.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mellophones were originally made in right hand piston models in Eb, Bb and F, yet in the circular form similar to the classic French horn. Certainly the mpc on my Yamaha mellophone in the trumpet configuration is different from cornet, trumpet, and French horn. Later the bell section was straightened to extend projecton (Stan Kenton Conns). I do have an adapter where I sometimes have played a Farkas French horn mpc on it. Actually, I believe it squeezes in closer to a tenor horn than the others mentioned.

My trombone mpcs a 6 1/2 AL & 12 C are the same as are used on baritone (I don't own one, but have played school horns) and my euphonium.