Amazingly High Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    The best part about all the players I put up is that they all have a GORGEOUS sound no matter what register they're playing in. Doc and Adam are both masters of versatile trumpet playing, Rashawn has a really nice warm, thick, core filled sound when playing low and mid-range, James can literally play anything...and even Faddis can play lyrically (even though he does it less often)

I forgot to put Thomas Gansch in my list for some reason....look him up (Mnozil Brass)

Kujo

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I know, they have amazing tone and doesn't sound like a long squeak

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    All the players mentioned are utterly fabulous and at the top of the heap. Let us not forget Roger Ingram and Wayne Bergeron, either.
    If you ever heard Maynard live, you would know the one thing all these GREAT players are SLIGHTLY lacking is the incredible size of Maynard's extreme upper register. It was HUGE and was incredibly intense (It hit you like a ton of bricks) and he did it night after night, week after week, year after year, decade after decade - from a teenage prodigy to the time of his untimely death.
    I am in no way, shape, or form knocking today's astonishing high register players. They are truly GREAT, but Maynard set the bar at an almost impossible to achieve level. My earlier post with the Russo was done when Maynard was 30 or 31 years old.
    No less that Bud Herseth said he felt that Maynard Ferguson was the greatest brass player in the last half of the 20th century.
    Rich T.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is some amazing range, I never thought a trumpet could go that high

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Forget about how high he plays - dig the facility he displayed all around the horn when playing the bebop lines. That's truly special.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    It doesn't even look like Cat is trying! It's like he's just playing some low c's! :-o
    What. A. Beast.

Kujo

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Cat - Hmmmm this piece only goes up to a triple F, we need higher music

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Ditto that.

I've always said that Maynard would have been a jazz great even if his register was only a High F. He would simply have had his music arranged in lower keys and all would have still been beautiful. It is* his sound that distinguishes him from the rest. Sound first, range second.

In his clinics he would talk about other trumpet players like Clark Terry. Describing range as "personal" and warning us to "not be a plastic Maynard". Finding one's own identity/sound.

Here's a good insightful watch: Maynard Ferguson Clinic: 05. Upper Register - YouTube

*I refuse to refer to Ferguson in the past tense.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Look at all them pretty Connstellations!