American football help!!!!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Youri le god, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Can someone please help me!!! I bought Madden 2005 for the Playstation 2. It's a great game. The only problem is, it assumes you know everything about American football. I'm in the UK and my understanding of the game is ok but I don't understand the different defensive formations. Can anyone tell me what these defensive formations are???
    4-3
    3-4
    Nickel
    Dime

I never know which one to use to defend against a pass or a run etc... And what's play action?????

cheers
    Youri

2. mschieffer

mschieffer New Friend

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm not sure how in-depth you want your information, but here goes. The 4-3 and 3-4 refer to the down linemen and linebackers in formation at the line of scrimmage. For example, the 4-3 has 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers. These are basic defensive formations that are mainly used on running downs or when you aren't sure exactly what the offense may do. Nickel and Dime formations are typically called "packages" and are basic formations to use when you know the offense is in a passing situation. The Nickel uses 5 defensive backs and the Dime package can vary with 5 or even 6 defensive backs.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Quarter is best against the long pass. The more lineman you have is best against the run. The more defensive backs the better against the pass.

Play action is a fake run with a pass. In Madden the defense will usually penetrate too fast so the QB gets nailed.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Yeah, play action is always bad news on Madden. Watch out for plays labeled "PA, Hook," or whatever. I hate it when I accidentally pick a play action play. A cool thing to learn is the "Hot Route" on offense. The instructions shoud tell you, I can't remember exactly without seeing the control. What happens is that you pick a reciever and change his route right before you hike the ball (start the play). It's pretty useful when you start recognizing the defences. That's about the only cool thing I can do, there's way too may options for me to spend the time learning them.

5. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Which one is quarter???

Thanks for this info guys, my march to the Superbowl with the Redskins can now start in earnest!!!!!!!

6. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    THE REDSKINS!?!?!?!?!?!?! :thumbdown:

How 'bout dem Cowboys! :D

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Did you find it yet? It's in order before or after the dime

8. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    Yeah, how 'bout that Monday night football game a couple weeks ago! I haven't been able to say this with confidence for a couple years now. . . .

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Fairfield