American Trumpet Players In Europe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumplayer123, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Trumplayer123

Trumplayer123 New Friend

Jun 9, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm in high school and was just wondering.... how does an American trumpet player make it in Europe? I know that stylistically speaking Europeans play much different from Americans. If an american trumpet player wanted to go to Europe what should they do? Would this mean going to a university or conservatory? If so which one and when? (right out of high school, transferring over from an American college after a couple years, etc.) I'm just curious on what it would take.

Thanks,
    Trumplayer123

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, I came over in a US Army band in the 70's after having studied in the States. I studied with a solo trumpet player in a German orchestra and the rest is history.

There is no school or teacher in the whole world that can place a student just because they study there. The student needs what it takes. That is charisma, dedication, a fine ear and love for the type of music that is being played (it is amazing how many players come to auditions and do not know the repertory - what a waste of time and nerves). THEN comes the playing qualities.

You are right about Europeans playing differently. I think they pay a LOT more attention to articulation.

Right out of high school? Good luck.

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I know nothing about this topic but isn't trumpet playing trumpet playing to an extent you can play well or you can't. Is the transition something like going to jazz trumpet playing after years of classical traning?