American Trumpeteer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Dec 16, 2008.

1. drbucher@daytonhope.com

[email protected] New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Anyone ever heard of an American Trumpeteer Trumpet? I inherited one from my grandfather that dated back to WWII. Unfortunately I lost it in a housefire. It's been nearly 2 years and I still have not found one yet. Please HELP!

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Do you have any more information on it? Photos, where purchased, etc. It is not a trade name known to the Horn-u-copia site. From my experience , the trumpet was likely a "stencil" made on contract for a retailer to sell under whatever name they chose. A number of major makers, Buescher, Conn, York and many others added to their business. Also, many were imported from German, Czech, Italian and other companies. There were scores of "stencils" out there for many years and still are seen on ebay and from persons like yourself. I doubt if it is replaceable unless you see one on ebay ,antique store, craigslist, etc.

I have not heard of it, but there are many, many that are hard to find tha parentage of. Here is the link to Horn-u-copia's Stencil threads which makes interesting reading. Also if you go up to the top tap that says Tradenames and click that, you will see the myriad of names used over the last 100 yrs or so. Horn-u-copia - "Stencil" Horns Good luck!:-)

3. drbucher@daytonhope.com

Dec 16, 2008
    The only other thing that I remember was Elkhart Indiana and a lot of artwork. The trumpet almost look pewter. Nothing shiny. I have found several American Trumpeteer Trombones for Elkhart IN, but no trumpets. I really don't think that it's worth much in the dollar sense, just sentimental.

Thanks for your help!!!

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Glad to help! Being made in Elkart the more likely makers are Conn, Buescher, Blessing which were doing that business. That loss of the horn would hurt. Better if it had been set on or run over, at least you would have the instrument on some form. I saw those Google lines and one of the trombone ones seems to imply Conn was the maker, but the item wasn't there.:dontknow:

5. drbucher@daytonhope.com

Dec 16, 2008
    I just got off the phone with Conn, but they hadn't heard of it. I will keep looking. Thanks for your help!!!

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Conn wouldn't have records going back that far, especially for stencils. The company has changed ownere several times in the last 50 yrs and is now part of Conn-Selmer group under the Steinway Corp. You might go to the Connloyalist website and look over the photos of the many horns they have made over the years and see if any looks familiar. Another thing would be to go to Allexperts.com and put in a question for Mike Pawul about the stencil. He is pretty knowledgeable and might have heard of it.
    Another would to search out any trombone forums ( there must be some) and put in a query. Maybe someone has one of the trombones and would know something about it.:dontknow:

7. papacker

papacker New Friend

May 21, 2012
  8. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I also saw that link when looking for this strange trumpet. Since the guy's username is an email address, maybe it will work to email the link to him?