Amount of practice time for 3rd year player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Rowuk, I know this board is kind of a power trip for you, but in this case you are misreading the tea leaves about the dynamic in my house and the level of interest that my son has in pursuing the trumpet. I'm not the one keeping trumpet music flowing out of his iPod day and night or the one asking to see trumpet video after trumpet video on YouTube (because we don't let him access it himself). Or asking every day whether NTC has posted up the videos yet of the trumpet concerts, or begging to go to NYC in June to see Hardenberger with the NY Phil, etc.

He wants to succeed and I'm doing the best I can to help him achieve what he expects to achieve. Part of that is structuring a practice routine. To use your words, he "respects" my opinion of what it takes to excel on the trumpet, including practice time. He understands that there are dues to be paid to achieve success. It doesn't mean that he wouldn't rather skip practice and play video games, but he gets what music is about and he definitely understands how viciously competitive the trumpet/music world is.

Anyhow, I just posted again to share what was working for him as a practice routine in order to round off my initial post. I didn't think I'd get attacked for that, but this is the internet I suppose.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    It sounds like you are doing a great job with it already. Maybe we should be asking you for advice.

My son's school didn't offer band until 7th grade. He was interested in it so we signed him up. I let the band director do most everything. However, after a 15 year hiatus, I pulled my horn out and began 15 minutes or so of playing a day for my own sake. My son would usually come in and want to play too. He is now in his second year and has made all types of honor bands -outplaying all in his class. He doesn't realize it, but every 15-30 minutes he spends playing along with me, he is really getting a private lesson. We also got into collecting Olds horns (I had a Super which I started him on, and a Strad) for a while. I quickly realized that wasn't going to be a permanant hobby -at least on my income.

I've been careful not to make it seem like I am overly eager to have him learn from me (he is an early teen so am trying the reverse psychology approach).

Be sure to keep lots of duets out. Also, my son loves to read with me out of fake books. I'm trying to keep the music interesting (melodies etc. as opposed to technical studies). Thus far it has worked.

Again, good job as a Dad. Sounds like you are doing things correctly!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rich,
    it wasn't an attack. It also did not assume that you were forcing him to do things that he did not want to. I still maintain that based on YOUR first (and last) post, YOU are more of a driving force in this case than he is (otherwise this question would not even come up how YOU could structure even better). Pointing that out was my intent. Obviously I struck a nerve - for whatever reason.

Getting back to your son (or any other fine player), I am not convinced that special structuring of the daily routine above and beyond the basics necessarily produces the better results. I am also not convinced that an hour more a day is a solution for anything unless it is driven SOLELY by the joy of playing. I know too many practice room heros (zeros). If there is a simple but strong daily routine of 30 - 60 minutes daily, all of the stuff that needs attention gets it. Above and beyond that repertory is what makes us grow. Music to be played presents the best "next" challenges and THAT is where kids are at. They will (flexibly) do whatever is necessary for that next solo. I believe that is a far better method rather than intellectualizing the process. It also keeps the "viscious" out of it. The finest players that I have ever known were only in competition with themselves.

You are right. This is the internet and we often do get answers that we were not looking for.

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Rowuk, the nerve you struck was the phenomenon on the internet of people ignoring common decency and tact in their communications. It's pretty common for message boards of all types to have a few know-it-all bully types who speak their mind callously without regard to the way normal, polite people -- particularly strangers -- communicate with each other in face to face conversations. I used to be that way myself but have grown up bit now. *Your post was most definitely intended as an attack and I think others probably agree as well.*

On the substance of my post, since adding more practice time my son's playing has improved very quickly. His range has gone up 3 steps and his reading and musical intuition have also improved because he is covering more repertoire. *You are correct that I am the driving force -- just like I'm the driving force behind making sure he eats healthy food, turns in his homework on time, treats others witb respect, learns the meaning of hard work and the rewards that come from it. *It's called parenting!*

Bixel likes this.
  5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bixel likes this.
  6. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    So let's start breathing again.