Amount of practise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Aug 22, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Hello again my trumpetfriends.

I am always interested in reading and learning about how other trumpetplayers do their work. This question is NOT about ego or competition. Its just in pure interest that I would like to ask;

If you do not have any specific gigs or projects up ahead but you only want to becom a "better" trumpetplayer ower all, how much work do you put in it every day? and how does it efect you if you play more than that or less than that?

As I´m the one askin it is only fair that I start:

I have a system like this: for example: Monday I play much, about 4hours.
    The next day: Tuesday I play as much as I can WITHOUT getting tired (in other words much rest and easyer than on monday). This is about 100-120 minutes.
    Then Wednesday I play more again. Every other day more and every other day less. and so on...so basicly 4h one day and 2 h. the next and so on.

This is just my system at the moment. How about yours?

Robert

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robert, it looks like you got loads of free time. Most of us, especially when the season starts don't have that much free time...so we steal practice time whenever we can...Remember, time practice is not as important as efficiency. Otherwise, your plan sound good to me.

3. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Trumpetnick

Actually I have an 8h job every day ;0( but since I´m single and have no family I can spend all my free time on my trumpet :0)

4. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I'm doing 11 hrs per week. 2 hrs per day for 2 days then an hr. and a half on the third day working range and endurance kind of hard. Then back to 2 hrs per day playing softly and lighter for 2 days, and then a final hard day at an hr. and a half. Then a day off. Right now it seems to be working. I try to be ready for a gig any time it comes.

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    There is so much physicality (sp?) in playing the trumpet, or any other wind instrumemt.

"Bad Man" Bruce Johnson, who played baritone sax with Maynard in the late 70's, said the group could typically practice for an 8 hour day, but if they took a week of vacation, the most they could do when they came back was an hour and a half.

Savor your 4 hours of practice time, that's where you can build the endurance for those longer gigs. I can typically get in only 45 minutes to 1 hour a day. And I can tell if I miss a day.

The resting you mention is very important. If you try to continue when you're tired you will only get frustrated.

Pace yourself, take the breaks as needed.

Good luck!

6. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Yes resting is important and I do not pusch myself THAT hard on the 4h. days, just pushing the embouchure a little and then the next day it is my "recovery day" when I do less.
    Maby needless to say I have builded up the amount over many many years.

Robert

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i only practce 10-15min a day?

8. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I aim to hit about 2 to 3 hours every day, not including rehearsals. This is the recommended minimum daily intake for me, as I'm working on my music degree.

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    thats a fair bit how much do you play in a row? like how many minutes or hours? Do you play 30min straight and break? How would your mouth be able to do it if you play 1-2 hos straight? (if you do)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Face time is rated very highly by some. I think counting minutes has NO correlation to the benefit.

Many times the best advice that I can give a player is to get an intensive 90 minutes of practice (divided up into 3 sections) and use the rest of your "free time" to expand the brain - that is where the music comes from. For players with 3 hours a day AVAILABLE, I would recommend 90-100 minutes of playing, 45 minutes of physical activity like swimming, yoga, martial arts (one can fill in other activity that demands the whole body too) and finally, the rest of the time in musical research. Check the Wiki on various composers, pick a non-trumpet-mechanics issue and go for it.

I guarantee that this approach will SMOKE any monoactivity trumpet routine. Playing trumpet is NOT 100% trumpet on the face. Making yourself a BIGGER, BETTER, HEALTHIER person will do a whole lot for your playing and give you additional subjects to post about here too!

My personal mix is that I use about half of my available time for things directly trumpet. My definition of available is most likely different as I am a father of 4.......

Hitman,
    it is possible to play for a couple of hours straight, but that is not an intelligent way to build chops. Playing trumpet is not marathon work regardless if you are a jazz or symphony player. The optimal routine is NEVER 2 hours straight through!