Amplifying a trumpet/Bose PAS

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterb, Jan 5, 2006.

1. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I play in a couple of horn bands, and I sub with several others from time to time. The one thing that I found that was consistant from one band to another was that they all seemed to complain about the sound systems that they were using, and the horns always complained that they could never hear themselves well enough in the monitor mixes. The one band that I play with has just started using the Bose PAS systems, and I must say that these have to be the BEST thing that has happened to our band in a long time. I find that the reproduction of the trumpet sound is very acurate, not distorted, and can be easily controlled by the player...no need for a sound engineer anymore. We currently use three of these systems in the band, and will be purchasing a fourth system this spring. The band just seems to sound better with these than with traditional PA systems....especially the horn section. Does anyone else have experience playing through these systems? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts....

Andy

2. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I have seen them in use., and haveheard from some other Club date band horn players the same assessment as yours.

3. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    !!!
    Are you serious? I was under the impression that they made the worst speakers in the world. Good to see they make at least one good one, I guess.

4. wdave

wdave New Friend

Apr 18, 2005
    Conyers, GA
    Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/musicians/get_plugged_in.jsp

Appearantly, you don't need monitors or big PA speakers, This serves both purposes. Great concept if it works, I've never heard this outfit in person, but comments on other muscian type forums have been very positive. I've heard no negs. Here's a thread from a steel guitar forum: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/004409.html
    Scroll down to Mark Van Allen's reviews.
    Dave Little

5. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Yep....that's it.......good stuff....