Amy Winehouse on Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Oct 29, 2013.

1. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    She would have sounded good on a Bach strad

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I have heard her sing, consequently my comment. Billie Holiday and Janis Joplin hurt my ears, too.

3. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I think that the OP (BJL) was posting to show that Amy dabbled with trumpet as well as singing, something perhaps of interest to folks on a trumpet forum.

I remember hearing my S/O play some of her stuff and I asked "Wow, who is this?" (not knowing at the time). I think she was a very soulful, talented singer.......

Having seen pictures of her just starting out, (before the demons really took hold), she was also, a very pretty young lady.

It breaks my heart when someone, particularly someone with immense talent (Bix, Bunny, Bird, Jimi) cannot overcome substance abuse and dies too young, leaving so much unsaid.

R.I.P. Amy

(my 2 cents)

Bob

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amy was an incredible artist. RIP!

5. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Funny thing is, I read it as a positive thing originally, like never washing or cleaning something your hero had touched. Oh well...

I never heard her music until she had passed on actually. I just thought she was another pop singer. But listening to her stuff now, she doesn't seem to have the usual contemporary pop style. She's got a great voice for a soul/blues mix though! It's an intense voice and style that suit one genre, but maybe not another, like Edith Piaf.

Pity about the drugs though. How many were there/are there?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a physician that sees the result of the tragedy that substance abuse brings, this is the hardest illness I have ever had to treat. Substance abuse robs the talent from all that succumb to its final torment. My heart goes out to each and every one of them.