An American in "Chicago"

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by orchtrpt, Mar 4, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Some !Americans! who might want the job and could do the job in the CSO...

Dave Bilger Philly. Jim Thompson Eastman. George Vosburgh PSO. Mark Ridenour CSO. Chris Martin Atlanta / finalist. Mark Hughes Atlanta / finalist. Tom Rolfs Boston / finalist. John Rommel Indiana U / finalist

?????? who else. Be realisitc... things are fine in NY and Cleveland

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    if they wanted Ridenour for the job it would have already happened by now. I think it really isnt a question of who can do the job, becasue there are sveral people that could do a fine job with the postion, it is more of a question of who WOULD do the job.

I think the only people that would go out for that job right now are very young guys that can play their butts off. I assume that most of the older guys would be happy to stay where they are at in there current jobs.

3. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    I would agree with that diz. They have had 6 auditions now (i think) to fill this spot. it will be interesting to see how long this position stays vacant. It might not be sometime until 2006 until they have new auditions when the new music director is hired. looks like ridenour once again will be playing alot of first trumpet. this time maybe for a couple of years!

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    If they keep having auditions, but never select anyone -- doesn't that eventually hurt the orchestra? If I was of that caliber, I wouldn't want to audition. It not about who can do the job, its about politics. After awhile, wouldn't apathy take over?

As a side note. A friend of mine, a graduate of The Julliard in oboe, played with several orchestras and on broadway for awhile. She now gives private lessons and sells real estate or something. Why? The politics were too much -- and to hear her tell it, directors often demand "more" in the after hours for the positions she supposedly "won".

Maybe that is way American orchestras are folding right and left. The best players are not playing, only those who can handle the crap are.

M&C

5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Nah, that's not the reason. Pop music is the reason.

6. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    I think both of you are way off. I guarentee you the "best" players are playing and there has always been "pop" music.

7. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    What I meant was that the "Popular" music of this era is no where near symphonies. Because of this, many people don't want to listen to them.

8. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Annie, I think you've got something there. I agree that most of today's society isn't involved in attending concerts. It's not the cool thing to do anymore.

The best players are playing no doubt, but it wasn't very long ago when orchestral music WAS the pop music.

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    it would be sad to see this drag out for a few years but what would be even worse is if Danny B. gets someone in and that guy gets tenure.. i would rather see this drag out and we end up with an American style player in there.

10. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    I would agree that the "pop"music of this era is not very close to that of the symphonic repertoire. But do you think that the "pop" music of the 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s or 90s - on was all that much closer? I sometimes think we are too quick to blame todays "pop" music for the decline of american orchestras.