An easy on for y'all -- transposition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjzeller, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    B II on sax? Wow, that's like playing lute music on the banjo!

2. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Well...we had the rehearsal last night and it went quite well. And what a fantastic Oboe player they found! I don't know her name, but the sound was pure, stable, and strong.

the only hard part was trying to balance with an oboe player who sat on the exact opposite side of me from the organ, drums, piano, and choir. I finally decided that, well, heck -- she has a mike and I don't, I'm going to just blow until someone says otherwise...

On other issues...

my wife has a saxophone...maybe I can try jamming my old Marcinkiewicz into it...hmm......

3. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Maynard Ferguson did indeed play soprano saxophone.

4. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I can still remember the day of feeling disgust of playing the modern trumpet realising that Adolphe Sax had something to do with improving modern brass instruments. :)

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Alto saxophone is in Eb, up a major sixth from concert pitch. To transpose on Bb you have to read the alto part down a perfect fifth. I do it all the time. A concert C is an A on alto, D on trumpet in Bb.

Michael McLaughlin

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I hope the oboe player is good! There is little on this earth worse than the sound of a poorly played oboe.

7. dannac

dannac New Friend

Dec 4, 2006
    Hey bandman

The pic ....... lol, lol, lol .....

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Adolphe Sax had NOTHING to do with improving modern brass instruments, except to give the other inventors a reason to devolop musical instruments. Except for a handful of masochists that play the Haydn and Hummel on keyed trumpets, the only remaining instrument of that family played is the ophecleide. Fortunately, if modern trombones are played at the same time, you never know it is there!

9. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Oh, she is indeed. I was really quite impressed at how effortless she made it sound. I'm guessing she's with the local orchestra, but couldn't really say for sure.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    The one time I heard Maynard play live he did an extended tune on soprano sax. It was some kind of jam on an Indian Raga. Very cool..