An Holistic Approach to Stuck Slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Oct 31, 2014.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Seth,

before you do any more lapping, check the slide legs one at a time, I have had several instances where the individual legs are quite free but stiff when both engaged, always a miss-alignment. The best lubricant for my 1st and 3rd slides I have found is a clear chain saw bar oil.

Regards, Stuart.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Does it resemble anything you would find here? Taylors & Company

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    One way to identify problem areas is to look for scratches on the inner and outer slide surfaces. This can show distortion and/or misalignment. There are ways to make these areas stand out, but rather than get into that now, why don't you contact Flip Oakes http://flipoakes.com/contact/ first?

4. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Yes, it is. Linguistics cred, mate? But I agree with you about New Zealanders. All of them that I have met are exactly what you have stated.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that I have something sensible to offer here. As long as the slide is clean and currently moves at all, we know that we have done everything that we as players are "supposed to". Not having immediate access to a tech is only a life sustaining issue if we have a heavy solo performance that would make a workaround necessary.

In these less critical times, my best friend is to simply know what is wrong. A set of decent measuring calipers is enough to check out of roundness or misalignment. Once our curiosity has been satisfied, we simply wait for the proper opportunity to get the slide looked at by a qualified tech - we simply live with the issue and do not overcompensate.

I have been married for a long time and never divorced as we both know about our "warts" and are willing to wait until we find something that can properly help..............

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I started work almost 60 years ago in servicing electrical and electronic equipment the mantra preached to me by my mentor was "Find out what is wrong before you fix it", it is true now as it was then.

Rowuk, we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary earlier this year.

Regards, Stuart.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Hi Stuart,

The resistance was about 75% on the bottom leg which had me pretty well discounting misalignment. Both legs were showing narrow tramlines so I reckon it's just surface roughness, probably on the inside of the sleeve where its not easily got at.

Anyway, now I've flushed out the polishing gunk, it is not quite perfect, but the slide's moving quite a bit better now.

Currently I'm using Wahl clipper oil on all my fast slides. I think it's pretty straight Chevron Superla 10 (https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77371&docFormat=PDF) which is a white oil so it doesn't mess up my clothes and is deemed 'safeish' for skin contact. Viscosity is around 4 or 5 times higher than a standard valve oil which I find around optimum.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    dupe

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Yes, yes, yes. But since I spent a good few years of my apprenticeship hovering around the fitters' and instrument techs' workshops, then went on to manage the control and instrument department for 5 or 6 years, I like to pretend that I'm not quite as mechanically incompetent as I probably am ;-)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Then tell us how out of round or misaligned the tubing on the first slide is...................

Before I lap anything, I paint the (bone dry) tubes with magic marker and then insert and remove 10 times or so. Then I can easily determine where it rubs - or where I have to measure more. The magic marker is easily removed before further steps.

Toothpaste has generally been all that I have ever needed as a lapping compound. It also rinses well with hot water.