An honest post...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ewanmains, Oct 4, 2010.

1. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Well, was playing with one of my bigbands last night up at Callander Jazz Festival, & to be honest I'm completely bummed out.

I went in early, had a nice, normal gentle 5 minute warm-up which was fine, went for a quick sandwich. Gig started about half an hour later result: no chops, no sound, no response, no range. Just rubbish all the way. Lips were extremely swollen, it felt like my mouthpiece was coated in vaseline! No grip, no feeling. In the end up I had to switch to a 3C in order to get any kind of sound out, & even then I had to use far too much pressure to get the job done.

The only thing I can think of is that something I ate in the sandwich (tuna, sweetcorn on brown bread, with some fresh orange juice, salt & vinegar crisps) caused my lips to swell & become completely unresponsive.

Never had anything like this before, so I'm completely confused! Got another gig tonight with another bigband, so I'll just need to withold judgement until tonight.

This morning, my lips feel like they've had the battering of a lifetime!

To say I'm confused & anxious is a slight understatement.

:-(

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I can't eat roast or BBQed chicken before a gig. I learnt the hard way.

3. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Thanks Ozboy,

Have you had a similar reaction then?

Just on Ibuprofen today, along with some arnica cream & lots of water!

Scary stuff ....

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My guess is the salt and vinegar chips did it. Those always leave my tongue and mouth kind of raw feeling.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'll second Brekelefuw. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  6. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Thanks guys. I'll see how it goes tonight. The salt & vinegar crisps does seem like a culprit now I have time to look back on it. Perhaps a high dose of salt & acetic acid ain't that good for your lips...

I always remember when I was a kid having a particularly strong pack of S&V crisps & having my lips turn pure white from the salt & vinegar.

Hopefully it'll be all ok. Just need to watch what I eat before a gig in future & stay away from crisps!

:-)

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Definitely sounds like the chips (or combination of the chips and other stuff) are the culprit.

I'm a bit paranoid about that kind of thing, so I usually eat very lightly if at all before a gig.

Like you, I have trouble if my lips feel greasy.

8. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    that arnic cream is amazing stuff! aint used it in a few years, i would highly recommend it!

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I would rather my lips were slick than anchored to the mouthpiece. I live on the coast and play lots of jobs with shrimp on the buffet. I have found that shrimp does not allow me to adjust my embouchure at all. I am not sure if it is the shrimp or the Old Bay seasoning or the cocktail sauce, but flexibility is compromised. Therefore i leave the shrimp, much as I love them.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'd bet on the seasoning and sauce,Ed:roll::oops: