An hour is not enough.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Growing up my folks struggled to keep me practicing. I remember the private instructor telling me in front of them that I needed to practice half an hour every day. That sounded like an eternity. Now as a comeback player I try to get in an hour a day, or if I am lucky three half hour segments on weekends. Takes about a half hour to do the daily drills and scales, then a half hour to practice technique (Arban's exercises) or play music I enjoy until I am too tired to play. I frequently find myself wishing I had more time to play. Unfortunately the number of hours I work precludes any more than that especially if I don't want the Mrs to get frustrated with the amount of time I am devoting to practice. Funny how things change. :oops:

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you put a lot into it, an hour may indeed be enough. The key is, when you start to fatigue, than (as you say above) it is time for sure to put the horn down. For the work out I use, that happens in about an hour. However, when I head out for a 4 hour gig, I do fine at that gig (as I take more breaks than during my hour practice session). Keeping going for a four hour gig is my endurance goal. With that said, I added (as I do occasionally) about a half hour to the END of my work session to go over scales, phrases or work books. This evening for instance I added a half hour (after my hour work session) of Articulation Studies from "the art of Jazz trumpet" by John McNeil. It actually felt real good, kinda like dessert.

Unfortunately, I read page 10 about Miles Davis' using the Gustat mouthpiece... so I went on the internet this evening and bought one for $170 (Gold plated)... That kinda hurt. Definitely an impulse buy.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Wow almost felt like saying "snap!" - I'm working through that book now as well - and last night "warmed down" with a few of those studies as well (played slower, not faster!) and earlier had read about Miles. Didn't think to go and buy a mouthpiece though...

--bumblebee

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think that your experience is almost universal with we comebackers. There's a whole heap of reasons why we attack tasks and interests with more passions second time 'round.

Something that you might find useful in getting towards the amount of practice time you want... I saw this idea somewhere else on TM - if you're spending time on your own in the car, a mouthpiece with two or three feet of plastic tubing will allow some exercises to be done in otherwise wasted time. It's not too conspicuous although a passing cop make think that you have some type of mobile smoking device in your car. Also, I've found just blowing air through my lips without buzzing and focusing on keeping the aperture the size and shape that I want when playing (choosing my words carefully here because there are a lot of "religious" discussions about aperture, embouchure, buzzing not buzzing etc :-) ).

If you have a think about the exercises you're doing at home to work on strength, air support etc and use the mpc and tube or even just your lips you can get a similar useful workout. The only proof I can offer is that when I get out of my car and pick up a horn, I'm ready to go like I've been playing for real - and it feels like the extra practice time is working for me.

BTW, nice to see you're quoting a great Aussie poet in your signature.

5. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I find I don't time most days to achieve a goal of an hour. My wife does not like me to practice after 8:30. So I have taken to a mastery approach to my practice and drills to maximize my time. Warm ups, drills, articulation exercises, repertoire, what ever I practice is done till it is completely mastered then I move on to the next exercise. If nothing else this approach has improved my tone.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I find that I cannot get enough of playing and want to play more and more. In my particular situation, I am a theatre teacher. I teach in a portable classroom and move to the stage at the last moment (3 to 4 rehearsals max for a production on the actual performance space). The fact that I am outside means that I do most of my practicing in my portable, where no one else is impacted. I generally play for an hour or so during the day and an hour to two hours after school. I tell my wife that this way I avoid the traffic. I am in no hurry to retire, because it will mean a drastic curtailment in my playing regime.

Of course it is easier to practice now, because I am no longer playing sports or chasing girls like I did when I was a single man. That frees up a lot of time....

7. Kendall

Kendall Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    UK
    Hi all,
    I also find it difficult to fit in time to practice and with little kids around it is tricky as they want in on the action!!! (and can't really sit still and give you peace to properly play and then the practice is rushed and a bit inadequate). I do lip slurs etc but probably too quickly move on to pieces I'm working on!! Having been working really hard with the band for a contest which was last weekend and now it's done and dusted this week has been much more relaxed. It's so much easier to play as a group. I found this when I went busking at Christmas - because you're by yourself it is very hard to stay driven. But when you busk as a small group it is very much easier. Also with busking passers by tend to do just that, although that is a plus as well because you very quickly learn not to be self conscious.

I'm interested to know what everyone's practice routine features.
    :-)

kingtrumpet likes this.
  8. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    ...an hour is not enough..... I agree! 2 things I've done
    1) I schedule "heavy" days, and light days. I have found that as I get older (sad realization) that it takes longer to "recover." And when I was working hard everyday - I actually found endurance and range suffered a bit.

2) I just started this last week: I brought a horn to the office (a large law firm). During my lunch hour, I close the door to my office (or a conference room) and do long-tones, slurs etc.... with a bubble-mute in. It's a good way to sneak in some extra face time.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Primarily, just to say hi. I departed the Springfield VA area in 2001 with a move to Woodbridge VA, and thence down South to Jackson NC my wife's hometown when my wife retired in 2006, the same year I began my comeback.

Except for Tuesdays, Thursdays when my wife is home and I must use my Yamaha Silent Brass mute and Sundays that I don't practice at all, but may be playing in church, I push for 2 to 3 hours actual "lip time" in an alternating 30 minute "lip" and 15 minute rest cycle. Being retired and with age and health issues cause such to vary, but such is really my most enjoyable moments.

Ed Lee

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    An hour is not enough, true, but as others have pointed out an hour is better than 30 minutes, and even in that time you can get some useful work done, for example as described in one of Pops McLaughlin's books.

--bumblebee