An hour is not enough.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I use to do 3 hour practices on the trumpet the first 2 or so years of my comeback -- now 4+ years in, I am finding that a DECENT HOUR of practice (and sadly, but more important beneficially) - an actual day OFF from playing really helps. Of course, I switch between the trumpet and the trombone in a practice --- so for ME, I am envisioning the trombone is helping also (ie. relaxes the lips between trumpet minutes) -- so my hour of practice is more or less -- a solid hour of playing ((just like GM, ole buddy, ole pal)) -- although my level of play is not quite what ole GM's is. One night or so each week -- I try to play above the staff, do long tones ---- NOT THAT I NEED high range --- but it seems to build endurance, and ability to play, etc.

ps. by the way in community band this week - the guy next to me says - -"gee I ain't got my high C tonight, what do you got tonight" -- so I played (with my mute in) up to the G above High C, pushed no further, and said "gee, you win, all I got is a G" ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Growing up, my instructors always made me put the horn down and rest 30-60 seconds in between exercises. Of course, I was playing 3 hours a day. Now with a very demanding career (at least 10+ hours a day), family, dog, home choices, yard work, etc., I am lucky to have 30 minutes a day to practice. some days it is zero. Endurance is one of my main problems- at jazz band we read 1/2 the book last week, playing straight through for 2 hours. I was shot by the end. Hence, I am doing very little rests during practice, purposely trying to slightly fatigue the chops in my short time for rehearsal, to add some endurance. We need a 28 hour day. Then I could practice 3 hours and rest in between exercises like my instructors taught.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    From time to time in my life, I have put together a time budget, just to see where I am. One time, when I was younger, I found that I needed 52 hours a day. Fairly ambitious, yes? And we won't talk about being realistic.... Now, I'm better at it; I did a time budget just now, and I can accomplish everything I need to do in a 32 hour day.

4. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    To make the oft-used, existential statement, "It is what it is." It's the journey, and trumpet-playing is part of that. However, so is your family and life. Praise God that you could go back to something you love, do that, but don't be enslaved to it. Enjoying playing music is one of the greatest thrills - and that has to exist beyond the technical studies (though they are good). Play, love and live!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Jfrancis has it right ... I am pretty sure just the mere fact you are on this site in the first place will put you in the "never enough time" club unless you are one of the working pros here. I get around an hour some days more but I really sought out the exercises that brought the best bang for the buck. It changes obviously because of plateuing but I like the Vizzutti warm-ups . I spend alot of time on them just because they really seem to improve my range and tone. Somewhere during the day, usually at work at lunch I will sit in my car and work on tonguing exercises, Clarkes, Arbans, or anything I have come up with. My concentration is on a nice clean punchy attack ... it just seems to help improving my playing. So while you may only have limited time you can keep improving. You almost have to choose what you want to improve on with limited time .. so while I am working on tonguing my slip slurring may be stagnent or little improvement. You just have to be okay with that.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have been "multitasking" recently; I've been working at a client site these last few months which adds almost an hour a day to my daily commute if I drive and is really a bit far to cycle, so instead of getting my daily exercise by riding to work as I did I now cycle to the base office and do my practice there as I normally do in the evenings, then cycle back home. Not sure how that's going to work out when winter comes though (frozen, cracking lips etc).

--bumblebee

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Deleted - double post, sorry

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    "I'd play Sally Goodin all day if I could, but the Lord and my wife wouldn't take it very good".....

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And being the practical person that I am... when I realize I don't have this day... I drink coffee... lots of coffee... Better life through natural pharmacological substances that give you that 28 hour day equivalent.

coolerdave likes this.
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although I won't compete with you on playin', I will on drinking cups of black coffee.