An hour is not enough.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh, I thought there was another trick having to do with throwing a pinch of salt in the brew, or dropping an ice cube in the pot ---- yeah, something like that, but I can't remember -- do you know this trick I am speaking of Ed?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, if you're really making Cowboy/Western coffee I doubt if you'll have access to ice cubes and cold water would take the thermal edge off hot coffee, which is not to say some don't add cold water from their canteen into their cup. As for salt, yes I've heard of a pinch being added but exactly what chemistry occurs I don't know.

My maternal Grandmother added a bit of salt to many of the sweet pastries she made and I've seen many recipes that call for the same. I wasn't concerned about the ingredients, I just woofed down her pastries. Likewise, the coffee she made that when I was old enough she served me in U.S. Navy mugs my uncle had provided to her, but then she also provided real cream from the fridge as took the thermal edge of heat off. My maternal grandparents then had a dairy farm. I don't use cream, sugar, or other sweetener in my coffee now, just straight black. Too, no more whiskey or brandy.

All I can say is if you're riding horses and getting your grub from a chuck wagon, keep your riding gloves on as the cups from the chuck wagon are metal and not thermal. We brass players should also be very cautious when putting such hot metal cups to our lips.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Growing up camping we used a splash of cold water or ice to precipitate the grounds to the bottom of the cup.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    On a hot sunny day, it is possible to make ice cubes at the campsite ... without electricity or gas. Likewise to cook without fire.

Just can't fathom cold water or ice "precipitating" the coffee grounds to the bottom of the cup or pot ... succinctly, I don't like cold or iced coffee. Each to their own likes and dislikes.

5. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    no really...just took a splash...the coffee stays very hot but since cold travels down and heat travels up the heavy particle precipitate. Try it next time you forget to put a filter in your coffee pot.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Cowboy/Western coffee pots never have used filters, and have no need for them. They are conical trapelloids where when carefully poured, the heavier grounds shift in fluid dynamics to the lowest bottom edge of the pot. Think a cresting ocean wave ovoid, the lighter coffee liquid reaches the spout first.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am finding that an hour of serious, and well thought out practice, is about all that my lips will take. So we are talking about lipe slurs, some long tones, rest in between. (of course I switch off on the secondary instrument the trombone) --- and the trombone helps to reduce the fatigue from the trumpet. so I rest a minute or so between instruments.
    this elicits a feeling in the corners of a decent workout -- so an hour is about all my lips will take anyhow ---- but I patterned that after GM, ole buddy, ole pal -- who does an hour of practice!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thread ambush alert. This is about the theory of practicing an hour is or is not enough... and it is NOT a thread about coffee. So perk up and start posting practice related posts. Man what a guy has to do here on TM to keep threads on track!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    GM, no coffee for me, and I'll not be practicing or playing or doing much else. BUT, hey, you're as guilty also with your "pots of coffee".

Still, OK with me if the discussion about coffee moves to the lounge

10. Kendall

Kendall Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    UK
    Hi,
    Going back to the topic of practice - this last week I've been doing just over an hours practice in two sessions on flugel horn and tenor horn as I'm rehearsing for my grade 8 I've got to say that the benefits of this focussed practice and having something to aim and drill myself for has been marked!!! I'm surprising myself!!!!

In terms of hot beverage I prefer breakfast tea - if I've not mentioned it already........ :D