An interesting problem with one of my students...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ScreaminRaider, Feb 26, 2006.

1. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Manny,

I had an interseting issue come up with one of my private lesson kids (6th grader) I have never seen this before, so I don't have a clue as to how to approach it. While he is playing, his embouchure will move all over the place. I can see his whole mouth moving in circles. Needless to say his pitch moves all over the place. I am lost on what to do. He doesn't even know that he is doing it. HELP!!!

Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There are a number of ways to go about this but could you post again and offer as much detail as possible? We could be looking at a future euphonium or trombonist. Telling me he's in 6th grade doesn't help me. How long has he been playing?

ML

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Funny that Manny said what he did because I was kind of thinking the same thing. I might have a little help here. I had a second year player who had a problem similar to what you describe. I changed her to Baritone Horn for about 3 months, and then changed her back. It was amazing the difference it made.

I have done this with a few students for various reasons, and in all but one case found it to be beneficial. In a few cases it was because the student had trouble with range, but really wanted to play trumpet. The change allowed them to use the bigger cup to develop moving the range up and down, and then they transferred this to the smaller cup. In other cases it was simply trying something new to keep a child from quitting due to the frustration factor.

4. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    lol...I'll post more detail tomorrow...I had to hurry that one up.

oh yeah.....first year player.

5. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Ok, so he is a first year player. This is a problem that has just come up. His mouth will actually move while he is playing a sustained note. So, because of this, he can't keep the note on the pitch. I'm not sure how I can describe it better. Not only does his ebouchure move, but his whole jaw will move in circles.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Very often, this knd of labial manipulation comes from a deficit of air. Kids will move heaven and earth to get SOME kind of sound out even when they have little air to work with. It sounds like this kid is doing just that. I would have him observe you play when you take a maximal breath and encourage him to do the same. Make him just take a deep breath and keep sipping until he's bursting then tell him to let it go. Then make him take a deep breath before he plays. I'm going to bet that this movement is minimized. If so, make him continue to do this until the day that he stops doing the extraneous movement.

A final thought: Is he playing a mouthpiece that is big enough? He might be on something that is too small.

ML

7. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Thanks Manny, I will do that today.

I believe he is playing on a Bach 7c, but I will double check

8. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    I have had kids who fidget like crazy. Can't sit still to the point where the same thing happens with their chops. Getting the kid to listen intently enough to identify the fluctuation in the sound can solve a lot of problems. Have him sing a long tone then imitate that sound with his trumpet. In other words the movement is a result of the fluctuation of the sound. Build an awareness of sound and let nature take it's course(with a little direction from you).