An interesting question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Dec 17, 2014.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My usual horn is the Model 228 Lightweight 400 and I use the Al Cass 1-28 reissue with it. Fabulous combination, I sound pretty good on it.

For my next concert, I want to use my Model 240 Custom Built:

[​IMG]

(Wouldn't you want to use this gorgeous horn too?)

The thing is, unlike the other Buescher horns I own, this is a medium bore horn that plays somewhat tight. With the Al Case piece, it's a lot more resistant than the Model 228 is.

But! The Buescher Duo-Cup 88-D mouthpiece is the same diameter with a much larger throat and backbore, and wouldn't you know, that combination just sings! It also explains why those mouthpieces have such large throats and backbores.

I have a particular 88-D that has a rim and diameter not terribly different than the Al Cass piece. Not exactly the same, of course.

I could do one of two things:

• Use the Al Cass piece and adapt to the tighter blow
    • Use the Buescher piece and adapt to the different rim

At this point, I'm going to use the Buescher piece and adapt to the different rim because it bothers me less than the different blow but I'd be curious others would do.

Tom

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Beautiful horn, Tom. Concerning the mouthpiece, why not simply let the quality of sound and overall response be your guide? One other suggestion: Be watchful of endurance regardless of mouthpiece choice. One combination may favor endurance more than another.

Jim

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It could have something to do with how the mouthpieces fit in the receiver in regard to the gap. I recently went through a thing where I got a Warburton mouthpiece - a 4SVW cup - but I have three KT backbores:

• Standard KT
    • DKT - seats a bit deeper
    • EKT - seats a bit deeper than the DKT
    It's essentially the same mouthpiece, but each backbore plays and responds markedly different. While you aren't going to have much of an option for changing that with the mouthpieces you've got, I've become a big believer that gap plays a much bigger role in how a horn responds, feels in terms of tightness of blow, and slots, than ever before. I also believe that it's part of the reasons so many players take off on seemingly never-ending mouthpiece safaris. Even if a mouthpiece feels right in terms of comfort, the blow might be off with a particular horn because the gap isn't optimal.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm a little sensitive to mouthpiece changes - I tire quicker on the rims which are significantly different to my B2S3 - but for shorter gigs, or ones with adequate breaks in playing, I think I would get by with, say, my Denis Wick 2, if that mouthpiece/horn combo suited the music better than my B2S3+horn combo did (which is rarely, btw).

--bumblebee

5. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    I'm with you: I care more about the blow than the rim.

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    These horns don't have a gap as you understand it. Either the end of the mouthpipe is blended into the receiver (Model 228 is like this) or the end of the mouthpipe is a long way away from the end of the mouthpiece (Model 240 is like this).

That has its own advantages., of course. The only "disadvantage" is the wider slots, but since that's how I learned to play, it's no disadvantage to me.

Tom

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting - I did not know that about Buescher trumpets - I learn something new every day! :-)

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'd pick the better blow and get used to the slightly different rim. But then, I don't have problems switching rims.

Long term, I'd look into getting a mouthpiece maker to make a mouthpiece with the Cass rim and the Buescher cup, throat, and backbore. And the Buescher blank, of course.

9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Or possibly just getting an Al Cass 1-24?

Tom

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The chart at the bottom of this page:

al cass tribute

Seems to indicate that that would just be a different rim.