An interresting article for those with scars on their lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sofus, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    The full article can be found by the link below.
    It is a rich and interresting article about stretching
    and muscles in general, and it also explains how scars
    can be helped by streching.

Part of the article follows here:

The stretching of a muscle fiber begins with the sarcomere (see section Muscle Composition), the basic unit of contraction in the muscle fiber. As the sarcomere contracts, the area of overlap between the thick and thin myofilaments increases. As it stretches, this area of overlap decreases, allowing the muscle fiber to elongate. Once the muscle fiber is at its maximum resting length (all the sarcomeres are fully stretched), additional stretching places force on the surrounding connective tissue (see section Connective Tissue). As the tension increases, the collagen fibers in the connective tissue align themselves along the same line of force as the tension. Hence when you stretch, the muscle fiber is pulled out to its full length sarcomere by sarcomere, and then the connective tissue takes up the remaining slack. When this occurs, it helps to realign any disorganized fibers in the direction of the tension. This realignment is what helps to rehabilitate scarred tissue back to health. When a muscle is stretched, some of its fibers lengthen, but other fibers may remain at rest. The current length of the entire muscle depends upon the number of stretched fibers (similar to the way that the total strength of a contracting muscle depends on the number of recruited fibers contracting). According to SynerStretch you should think of "little pockets of fibers distributed throughout the muscle body stretching, and other fibers simply going along for the ride". The more fibers that are stretched, the greater the length developed by the stretched muscle.

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_1.html

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That's a stretch....

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Great link, Sofus. Thanks!

I consider my scars, (and the permanent thin spot on my right upper lip [left if you are looking at me]) as "badges of honor," and reminders of my days in a funk band.

One needs to press pretty hard to take a chunk of skin off while using a Schilke 14A4a.

I managed that, but I had a nasty habit of taking some Tower of Power charts up an octave.

Don't try this at home, kids!

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Are you CRAZY!?!?!?:shock:

I have a couple of TOP records, so I know what you´re talking about . . .

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Well, I was--maybe. I really enjoy playing third trumpet parts now, though--a guy can take those up two octaves!

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    :stars: