An intriguing mouthpiece question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarkvinmazz, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    So here's some food for thought to mull over in your spare time. What are your opinions on moupiece/ trumpet combinations? Do you use the same mouthpiece for every horn, or do you have a different one for each? Personally, I believe the mouthpiece fits the horn. My 1 1/4 c vb mouthpiece certainly doesn't sound and work as well on my super as it does on my strad, but at the same time a 3c will get amazing sounds out of just that horn, and not much else. At least for me, that is. Just curious what other peoples views are on this.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Asymmetric Opera 545 for most uses:
    Preferred horn at the moment is Olds Superstar. Gives a warm sound

For high solos or cutting: Asymmetric Lead 342M - Chainsaw is probably best analogy here..

The horn varies often, but mpce gets varied through practice sessions, and sometimes rehearsals, but I rely on these for the gigs and endurance.

I cannot get a warm section sound, and a lead cut with the same mpce, so carry these 2 as a normal rig.

Cornet/Flugel/Trom/Eupho/Bari/etc have their own mpce.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have a Reeves Dynamic Mass Purviance 8A that works on all horns. Weird, but true.

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Benge 4SC/Conn 5.5SC and Bach 10.75EW work pretty well with both my Yamaha 6310Z and King 1117SP - somewhat bright but flexible sound on both, and high register/projection is not an issue [though it is easy to overdo it and tire out with the Bach]

Blessing 3C with Getzen 90 - works pretty well, considering the playing characteristics of the Getzen

Benge 7-BR is best with my Yamaha 731 cornet, for a great, mellow cornet sound - but I can't vouch for the faltering intonation

Bach 2CFL small shank is better with my Conn 24A/Willson flugel, especially because the previous owner reamed the receiver out with a Benge 3FL large shank, which didn't work well with the Conn playing-wise...

As for my other horns, it tends to be whatever I feel like, as the mp/horn combinations don't make a huge difference...

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OMG, Peter has been infected by the Kingtrumpet virus!!!!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It mostly depends on how the backbore of the mouthpiece matches the characteristics of the lead pipe of a specific horn. This is either a trial and error venture or with a chosen combination and the use of a gap kit to optimize that combination. In any event, here are combinations that work well for my horns.

Olds 3 - The Olds Ambassador
    Olds 7c - The Olds Recording and Super Recording
    Gustat Heim G2 Kanstul copy - The Martin Committee
    Getzen 3 - The Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
    Flip Oakes 3C - The Kanstul 1526 Flugelhorn

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I use some version of Mark Curry's 3. mouthpiece on all my cornets and trumpets (mainly a 3C. on trumpet and 3BBC. on cornet). On my flugel, I use a Callet SOLO mouthpiece. The Currys seem to work well on most any horn I try them on.

8. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    I have a Martin Committee model that plays best with the Martin 7 that it came with, throat opened to 23. The only mouthpiece out of my safari that seems to give the fullest sound and projects the sound forward.

9. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I almost always use my Curry 3C. on all my trumpets - mainly because it seems to work well with them all.

I occasionally will practice with a Mendez 2, but just out of curiosity, if I am doing high note stuff.

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Warburton 5S with 80 Series KT* Backbore for Bb Trumpet.
    Warburton 4MC with 80 Series 7 Backbore for Bb Cornet.
    Warburton 5FL for Flugel.
    Denis Wick 5 for C Trumpet.