An Issue with Musical Notation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    That's pretty much what I thought it was. My terminology (maybe only mine) would call them slur lines, or ties? but that is purely my own thoughts or what was implanted into my brain.
    Thanks for the clarification, Ivan.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Slur lines and ties are curved. Beams are straight

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Whereas one or more flags appear on eighth notes, 16ths, 32nd, 64ths, the streamer the connects one or more such flags is often called a "beam",

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thanks Ed!

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes, me too, thanks Ed.
    Ivan, I didn't know the lines you were referring to were the straight ones. I hadn't thought of the lines or bars as having a name, or really. I thought they were for the ease of the composer.......

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think you've nailed a big difference between vocal and instrumental charts VB. The lyrics guide not just phrasing and connections but also what story and emotions the performer should communicate. Vocalist or instrumentalist, words and music are part of a whole.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I always thought that the reason everything was flagged and not beamed was that singers can't count any higher than one thing at a time. :evil:

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Some of us learned music before we learned to sing :-)

The thing that always bugged me is the way that choir-masters conduct their singers - a whole lot of complex hand movements that try to shape every single syllable for the singers. It's like they don't know that the conductor is only there as a theatrical accoutrement and really just tells the band/orchestra when to start/stop and get loud/soft.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Can't say that I really agree with that. Most choir "masters" that I've seen or worked under did not over conduct. And if they were there only as eye candy, heaven help many choirs in their performances regarding phrasing, text painting and overall performance. Keep in mind that many who sing in choir are weak readers, if they read at all. They need the visual from the front to keep together and guide them through a coherent performance.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    this says it all.... Even without Finale some people just love screwing with us.

[​IMG]