An Issue with Musical Notation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Just got to play Devil's advocate here. Simple serious question for the larger ensemble situation. Who determines the interpretation of the piece; the conductor, or 80-odd individuals each trying to express their own particular 'artistic vision'?

Not picking on you in particular, tj :-) But whenever issues of musicality and interpretation crop up, my thoughts go immediately to stuff like the start of the 3rd movement ofHindemith's Mathis der Maler, knowing from personal experience what chaos would result if there wasn't a seriously good conductor there, in total control of his forces.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    G# minor with enharmonic modulation into Ab major?

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Who knows... just a trumpet etude. Charlier.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    K, I guess I was having a smart-a$$ swipe at singers who haven't learned enough of the basics of musicianship or choir leader-persons who aren't able to trust their singers to deliver what's on the page. I don't know whether it's over conducting or not but the majority of choir conductors I've seen do look weird by comparison to "regular" conductors. I certainly don't want to denigrate choirs and those who lead or sing in them. At the last show I played in, I sneaked backstage from the green room to hear the a capella vocal group that was performing. They were great, but the conductor still looked weird :-)

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Of course you're right Seth. We had our assistant MD sub for a recent gig and there were lots of things that went wrong.

And besides, someone has to herd all those cats in the string section and make sure the percussionists have the pages turned up the right way.:evil:

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    . . . in which case there was method in the madness.