An odd "first" for me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbshelbymi, Mar 22, 2016.

1. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I haven't played with any regularity in some time, as I've been preparing for a move. So my chops basically are non-functional, or so I would have thought.

Today, I was messing around on a tune in E-minor. I noodled my way up to high E, then thought, "heck with it" and went for G and then double-B, and NAILED it! Not a squeaky B, but pretty darned solid and sustained.

The odd part? This was on my Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn! Couldn't believe it, so I did it again, to the same effect. Went and grabbed my CarolBrass 5000, and popped it out on that baby too!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It's like that good Golf shot - you know the one where you have played badly all day, no high expectations after a series of embarrassing blows, then a perfect shot!!! [​IMG] and you look around to see who else has witnessed it!

It keeps you coming back to repeat it, knowing that getting more of them requires a lot more work, but gee I can do it!!

Now again, who saw it? [​IMG]

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If you haven't been playing "with any regularity in some time", maybe your chops are well rested.

Mike

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Possibly the Zatopek effect. Athletes obsessed with training are forced to rest due to an injury. The rest is exactly what was needed, as they will frequently come back with world record performances.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You'd have to literally lay off the horn for years and years before your chops would be completely non-functional. I took almost 18 months off once, and while it did take a while to get my chops to perform consistently again, I played a real gig inside of 30 days back on the horn, attending and playing rehearsals inside of that space.

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I hear you, Pat. "non-functional" was an exaggeration of course. Heck, before my comeback, I probably hadn't touch a horn 10 times in 25+ years yet had passed an audition for a brass band in about 3 months, and was playing in the front row within a year, then the Soprano chair. Early on, consistency and leaks were the embouchure issues, and my fingers still aren't back. Lots of hard work ahead once I get my relocation completed later this spring.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Over the past 6 or 8 months, I've cut back on my practice time, typically practicing only once or twice a week. I've never played better...:cool:

8. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Rest is important. When I daily played hour after hour in college, I seemed to have more 'chop problems' but had to just keep playing through 'em. Now I practice 4-5 times a week for up to an hour when I'm lucky, because that is all the time I have ... then play most weekends and feel great at the end of a 3-hour gig. Granted, I get to rest while others solo, but it is like age and experience have made it possible to survive at a higher level with less effort. That sounds completely wrong, and I am no superstar pro player nor have the pressure of playing at a high level, but I'm having a lot more fun while playing ... too much to stop playing for weeks or months at a time.