an odd question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Jun 11, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So I know this is an odd question to ask, but here goes. I live in murfreesboro tennessee with MTSU a couple of miles down the road etc. and Im askin about scholorship opportunities, So ive been off of my horn for about a month because my wisdom teeth surgery still bother me when I play, and its getting better and all, but I have till november to do midstate tryouts, im a sec leader this year and I tried out for midstate my sophomore year, didnt make it and I was put in all county honor band. So before I get out of high school I have decided I will work hard enough to get into Gold Band Midstate, im really gonna try for it this year, but yeah be4 I get out of high school I plan to do it. Now heres my question if any of you are up to date on scholorships and all I was wondering what I might get if I made gold band, just generalizing and all. Because my parents will pay for mostly everything except college tuition and i wanting to be a band director, but wont go to UT because it wont offer much because there are alot of players there, Memphis, I wont go to didnt like it when we went for band contests, so for state schools im stuck for MTSU or TTU, so any advice or what?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just generalizing, most all Universities, Colleges and Community Colleges offering full scholarships would have contacted you by now if they were interested. Making Midstate band might get you $50 or so off your tuition, probably not even that much.

If you want an academic scholarship, you might want to work on your English writing skills.

If you really want to study, consider digging ditches, mowing lawns and the like this summer to start saving money for college. It is amazing how many of those guys in tuxes sitting on stage with a trumpet in their hands started the same way!

Don't forget to practice, and work your tail off to make Midstate!

Have fun, too!

3. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    hey thanks, I was thinkin that was how it was going to be also

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    You will be a senior in 2009-10, correct? If that is the case scholarship money for 2010-11 probably won't have been distributed yet. The university where I teach doesn't decide on who gets scholarships until AFTER auditions for the coming year. If Tennessee schools are like ours you still have a shot at scholarship money.

You also have time to research loan programs. There are an great number of loans available that are not mainstream. Students sometimes cobble together several loans to meet their needs. Check with your guidance counselor or spend some time online/in the library looking these things up.

As Vulgano has said, PRACTICE! Music scholarships go to the top players auditioning because when they get to the school they are put to work earning that money!

Have you considered ETSU? You could also at least look at nearby, out-of-state, state schools. If you get a full or partial scholarship to one of them it may end up being cheaper than an in-state school in TN!

Best of luck, get a job and practice your butt off!

Bill

5. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ill graduate in the spring of 2011, so I got a bit im only a junior this upcoming year, yeah the only thought I had given to were TTU and MTSU, I havent looked into ETSU, is it any good music wise? Though yeah I think its where you audition then they hand out the scholorship opportunities thereafter, Haha yeah, a job, I want one, I had one... but yeah as soon as I get over my wisdom teeth ill be working 2-3 hours a day hopefully, I want to go on scholorship if I can. Hey Sturmbill most states are similar in scholorships for band I figured, how do yall look at all county, midstate players?

6. Sturmbill

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    We tend to look at everything an auditionee has done, but the final deciding factor is how well he/she plays at the audition. There are only so many spots in each studio so they are carefully selected and the competition is pretty strong.

The first hurdle you have to face is just getting into XYZ University/College. Some schools allow a little *flexibility* with getting great musicians who might not have as strong an academic background as other students, but there are many others who do not have this arrangement. Ours is one such school. If you can't get into the University we couldn't get you into the Music School even if you were the next Aturo!

If you are a junior I would suggest that you start hitting the internet to see what schools are out there, how much they cost, scholarship opportunities, etc. Then go out in the spring of 2010 and visit 4 or 5 that you think you might be interested in. See if you can do it on your Spring Break and actually see the music programs in action. You can see if it is something you'd like to be a part of!

Bill

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hey thanks, Ill do that. What school are you at out of curiosity?

8. Sturmbill

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
  9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    wow, looks really neat! how much is out of state at the moment? if its not to bad I may send you a video in the near future for an audition

10. Sturmbill

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia