an odd question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Jun 11, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hey thanks, looks like a pretty good school.

2. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    The other thing, audition at any and all schools possible. By auditioning at lots of schools, you will put your name in for getting full/partial rides. Depending on how competitive the schools are, you can get them to raise their offers based on what other schools offer (depending on how bad they want you to come). Look for local organizations giving scholarships as well. PSU doesn't have a lot of scholarship money to play with, but through local scholarships, I didn't have to worry about that much. Find the schools you want to go to, audition, weigh what kind of education you want with the monetary options and make college the best educational and life experience you can!

3. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I take it if I want to be a high school band director and all, how hard is it initially to get a job as one, you guys seem to be directors Im assuming

4. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Well I know for PA, getting a music education job is not easy, but not difficult either. You might not get a HS Band director position right away. The thing about getting a Music Education degree is that there's: MUSIC and EDUCATION. Notice how it isn't a BAND Education or CHORAL Education degree, but a MUSIC Education degree. By being a true educator and teacher, you have to be able to teach it all. I know that Penn State has 100% job placement for Music Ed. after graduation. Each graduating class, every person has a job that they applied to and won. Not sure about what it is like from the music teacher perspective, but that's the view from a current music ed. student.

5. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    hey thanks you guys are real helpful on this! ill be sure that when my senior year comes around to send off a few videos to your colleges.