Anchor Tonguing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aaronwoolley1, Feb 5, 2014.

Do you use anchor tonguing?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    I have alright tonguing, and I have been pretty lackadaisical in trying to find something to clean it up. My teacher, the great Jens Lindemann uses anchor tonguing, and has recommended that I try it as well. I'd like any comments on anchor tonguing, if you could help. I've started trying it, and it's a work in progress.

Thanks!

FYI, if you don't know what Anchor tonguing is, it's when instead of using the tip of your tongue to articulate, you have that part resting against your bottom teeth, anchored if you will. Then you tongue with the front middle of your tongue.

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I am actually working with a direct student of Claude Gordon. Claude calls it K-Tongue Modified (KTM) but I can tell you that it has really helped all aspects of my playing. I also believe that it really helped me to learn to double and triple tongue as well. I just had to learn to move the K part of multi tonguing back from the KTM.

Mark

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I forced myself to switch to anchor-tonguing almost a year ago. I have been a better player since then.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've done it and it helped dbl and trpl tonguing. Still do single tonguing the old fashioned way.

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I started the Claude Gordon method about a year ago, using his books: "Brass Playing is As Easy As Deep Breathing" and the "Systematic Approach to Practicing". Since then, my range has increased up to double high C and above, tone has improved dramatically with the breathing, and articulation is much improved. I only wish I had started that 52 years ago.

Gary

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have a varied pallate of tongueing so although I hit yes it is a qualified yes. I do use it but not exclusively.