And he wonders why his valves and slides are sticky.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    my theory is that many Professional players like the way their horn sounds so they don't mess with it... you know the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" --- what they fail to realize is that routine cleanings extend life and play-ability of the horn.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    My theory has always been that professional players play many more hours ever day, much more than students. So even though students may be dirtier in general, the sheer numbers sway the scale into the pros direction regarding the cleanliness of their horns. Although the if it aint broke dont fix it mentality may enter into it....probably like most everything else in life, a combination of factors.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is the norm rather than exception - what do you say Ivan?

4. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Very, very gross.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    A professional player can't afford to part with his favorite horn for the time that it can take to get it serviced, so they don't bring it in as often as they should, especially if they don't have a backup, or good backup.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Not sure about a horn needing to go away regularly for "servicing" but the 20-30 minutes for a good wash+oil every 2-4 weeks shouldn't be beyond even the busiest pro player? (My trumpets seem very clean to me but maybe I'm not doing something now I should be?)

--bumblebee

7. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Just cleaned my trumpet and find it noticeably easier to play in low and specially high notes.

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Ivan,

While not being anywhere near the experienced and professional tech/ manufacturer that you are, I have seen deposits like limestone crusted in professional trumpet player's professional horns.

Gary

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You would not want to know what I have seen, dead and alive, in pro players' horns.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Truthfully, that container of water doesn't look that bad to me. When I clean a horn, I expect to see dirty water and a flake or two of "green leafy" material. If nothing but clean water comes out, it didn't need cleaning, did it?