And he wonders why his valves and slides are sticky.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I immediately thought of that old joke "I have a bath once a year, whether I need it or not!"

By regular cleaning I hope to avoid ever finding green material in my horns. I did when I was young...

--bumblebee

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I've been hitting it pretty hard the last few months - up to 6 hours a day playing time. I never overdo my lip but I had a bad couple of days this weekend: very airy down low, nothing high, and a tongue like Ghandi's flip-flop.

This morning things seemed back to normal except for a really thin tone. Asked myself when I last gave it a good wash - and came up with maybe 4 weeks. Did the business and without seeing that much muck at all, it made all the difference.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, I never get much of anything out of my horns, and they do seem to play a little better right after cleaning. They seem a little more responsive/clear-sounding when they're clean.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Maybe we should look at the positive side of this mess. Perhaps the suspect involved regarded this crapa s a sort of internal patina that would increase the value of the instrument. I would question this individuals personal hygiene habits.:-P