And now, the award for the least reported major story...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
  2. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    It's funny how often Manny and I agree! :D

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
  5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Does THAT story surprise anyone?

As General Patton is reported to have said...

"I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me."

-cw-

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Here's a dandy little encapsulation of "the way it was":

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147586,00.html

I find it bitterly ironic that what the world swallowed was that we went into Iraq so we could benenfit from cheap oil when the ones that protested the loudest did so in order to try to preserve cheap oil for themselves!

You can't beat the media.. they're just too good at what they do.

Courage.

ML

7. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    you manny.....I agree!

8. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

So when the USAs quest for absolute power is complete, to whom will you be accountable?

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The quest for absolute power?

The US is the most powerful nation on the planet and for the past 60 years has had the ability to quickly destroy any nation if it so chooses.

Obviously, that is unacceptable to America's citizens, who, by the way, is who our leaders are accountable to.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Clarino,

I know that we differ politically yet I'm surprised you think that. For my part, I could not live in a country that was bent on global domination (if you accept that as an accurate paraphrase of your earlier post). With that comes fear, intimidation, murder, and strongarming that is against every principle I believe in.

I believe that the US is interested in doing a lot of things but absolute power is not one of them. We're interested in trade with as many countries as possible. We're interested in our own security. We help our friends when they're in trouble. We're interested in personal freedom.

We're caught between helping others and yet not being seen as the world's policemen. We don't have a government that is made up of the same people year in and year out (except, to some extent, in the Congress and the Senate) so it's hard to maintain consistent policies about a number of things. We believe in being a haven for the ppressed yet we have to maintain control over our borders or suffer the same as we did on 9/11. It may still happen anyway.

I just edited out a bunch more stuff I wrote because it just seems so futile. I don't mean you, specifically. It's just hard to fight the media when they print and report immediately without checking all the facts. It feels like we're constantly having to prove a negative over here.

Anyway... talk to you later,

ML